1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA '08 Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by bostonbred, Apr 17, 2008.

?

Who are you picking to win the NBA Championship?

1. Boston Celtics

23 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. Detroit Pistons

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  3. Orlando Magic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Cleveland Cavaliers

2 vote(s)
    2.4%
  5. Washington Wizards

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Toronto Raptors

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Philadelphia 76ers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Atlanta Hawks

5 vote(s)
    6.1%
  9. Los Angeles Lakers

21 vote(s)
    25.6%
  10. New Orleans Hornets

8 vote(s)
    9.8%
  11. San Antonio Spurs

14 vote(s)
    17.1%
  12. Utah Jazz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Houston Rockets

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  14. Phoenix Suns

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  15. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Denver Nuggets

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

"Jesus, alright. Calm down. Did you bring your Xanax?" </end Sideways quote>

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Nah, I'm done. Just needed a vent.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

[​IMG]

(Of course, he didn't go to college)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. 93Devil

Oh, you mean gems like Moses is better than Kareem?

Hey, when I posted that breakdown, I did not expect everyone to agree, but when people start calling each other idiots, it gets to me.

Let me know if you ever catch me calling someone an idiot. I will say I disagree, but everyone's opinion deserves to be respected.

I'm curious, since you are a huge Lakers fan, where is Kobe on your all-time Lakers list?

Third?

Second?

Fifth?

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I posted my top five a few pages ago. Go search for it. Kobe's not on it.

When you finish that, I hope you'll stop holding back and begin to share your knowledge with us, that we might gain strength from the sharing.

6. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Wait, what's that I hear? Could it be the death knell of this thread?

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

3 mvp's moran. You don't know what you're talking about.

He played highschool basketball everybody, wow, quite an achievement.

It's not your fault though, I mean you didn't play college hoop so how could you know much.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Jesus, 93Devil, the fact that you played HS basketball (as did I and others here, I'm sure) and all that other shit does not do a goddamn thing to change the fact that the shit you post on these basketball threads is often STUPID as hell. Forgive us for not resisting the urge to call you on your intellectually empty bullshit.

And nobody ever said Moses was better than Kareem over the course of an entire career, ONLY that Moses was better than Kareem during the era from around 78-84, which he was. Learn to read, dipwad.

And your repeated statements that Moses was "let go" 10 times is one of the more obscenely misleading, if not outright DISHONEST, things I've ever seen posted here. And you'd know that if you'd bothered to do even 5 minutes of homework about Malone's career before posting that nonsense. Here's the truth you either intentionally evaded or did not know:

Malone was originally drafted by the failing ABA, his 1st year he spent with the Utah Stars, which then merged into the St. Louis Spirits in year 2, the ABA then FOLDED and the Spirits franchised disappeared, his rights were then briefly held by the Buffalo Braves for just a couple weeks before being sold to the Houston Rockets. (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/malonmo01.html) That's FOUR teams he officially played for in just over his first two years--NOT ONE of whom really wanted to get rid of him but had no choice because the franchise ceased to be or could not afford him. NONE of which was his fault or related to any flaws on his part.

Malone then played 6 All-Pro seasons with the Rockets during which he won 2 MVPs, carried the franchise to the finals in 81, and became the best center in the league. At the end of those six years, Houston was desperate to keep him but could not afford him as he was the most sought after free agent in the league, he then signed the highest paid free agent contract in history with the Sixers and in his first of several years there led them to the championship and won a third MVP.

After 4 seasons in Philly, he was traded to the Bullets in what turned out to be a ridiculously one-sided trade that the Sixers' brass later acknowledged was probably the franchise's dumbest ever. And his remaining team changes occured in the latter years of his TWENTY ONE year career--at the time the longest in NBA history.

And your statement that he was "lazy" is about the single dumbest thing I've seen here--given that Moses was notorious for his maniacal intensity and how hard he worked on every possession compared to other NBA centers.

You have once again shown your ass, 93Devil, as you do on nearly every basketball thread. Odd for somebody who likes to boast about his supposed hoops pedigree.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I can't disagree with any point you made about Moses Malone, though I could make a compelling case for Abdul-Jabbar as the top center of the 70's and early 80's. Your, um, frustration level with 93Devil notwithstanding, of course.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Game, set, match.

11. 93Devil

So possibly one of the most dominant single-seaon teams ever, the fo, fo, fo Sixers, just collapsed after winning one.

Trust me, this was my favorite team growing up, was dumped by the Nets (the fucking Nets), the Celtics in five and the Bucks before they blew the team up and dealt Malone.

That team had Cheeks (great PG), Jones (great role player), Erving (another superstar) and Toney (stone cold shooter). Maybe I am still bitter as a child that they never delivered anything past that one title.

So forgive me for calling not Malone one of the greatest players of all time if that squad was dumped twice by teams not from Boston in the 1980s.

I'll be by the swingset if you want to keep calling names.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Let me put it this way, 93. The 1981 Rockets lost to the Celtics in six games, which sounds familiar. Malone's teammates made the non-Kobe 2008 Lakers look like the Dream Team. Moses was an unbelievable player. Good as Kareem? No, but it's not a wide margin.

Draft saved Draft deleted