1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Navajo officials claim 8 suicides tied to Colorado River pollution

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JohnHammond, Nov 14, 2015.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Some high-level BS from the Navajo Nation President. Makes you want to crawl into your safe space and eat comfort food all day.

Link between Navajo suicides, mine spill not clear-cut

In testimony before Congress, letters to the federal government and press releases, Navajo Nation President Russell Begaye and his vice president have brought up recent tragedies that have shaken some reservation towns to their cores.

They said eight people killed themselves in communities impacted by the unleashing of toxic waste from a Colorado gold mine into the San Juan River on the Navajo Nation, burdened by the stress of seeing a sacred waterway polluted.

"When you're being abandoned in your great time of need, what do you do? It causes great amount of distress," Begaye said at a recent Senate Indian Affairs Committee hearing where he pleaded for more resources from the federal government over the spill.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a lot of suicides. But you're probably right. Just ignore that crap. No need to go to the trouble of writing letters or testifying before Congress.

3. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

If you think people are killing themselves because a "sacred" river is polluted, then I question the social worker credentials you pulled in the other thread. Several other reasons I can think off right off the top of my head that doesn't include pollution.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'd love to hear your reasons.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm sure they just want more wampum to buy firewater.

Draft saved Draft deleted