1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nava

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jul 3, 2010.

1. Daniel Nava hits a grand slam on his first major league pitch he sees. Last night he had the pinch hit that was the difference in the game. Currently hitting .316 and averaging nearly an RBI every 4 AB. The kid is the real deal and he's come out of nowhere. He's the story not those high-priced, over-hyped playing for losing teams jokers that everyone has wood over.

2. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

We had him in Portland during the last few months of last season ... and absolute delight to deal with ... very humble, down to Earth ... and, while other guys were working their Play Stations at their lockers, he was strumming his Martin guitar .... not enough good things can happen to this guy ....

3. Exactly! A guy who was able to hit at every level he's ever played but remained humble. Maybe that humbleness has cost him? Not being a self-promoter like other people.

You'll never hear Daniel Nava refer to himself in the 3rd person.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

He's 27 and has only 56 major league at-bats. To quote Mr. Wolf, Let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet, gentlemen.

5. He's about the same age as Wade Boggs was when Get Laid for Wade made it to the bigs. And unlike Boggs - Nava is likable. It's a great story going on here that people should be applauding and following.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

What's the story with why he didn't start in the MLB-affiliated minors until 25?

7. RickStain

Am I missing something about the Boggs reference? He's three years older than Boggs was.

8. Undrafted out of college - he excelled in an Independent league until finally being picked up by a pro team. It's a classic Rocky-type story of success.

9. RickStain

He's listed at 5-10 on B-R. I'm wondering if he's shorter than that in real life and that got him undrafted?

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Exactly. Remember when Jacoby Ellsbury was a September call-up and batted better than .400 through the World Series, eventually driving Coco Crisp out of town? He was exciting (remember that steal of home against the Yankees?) and everyone thought he was the next big thing? How did that turn out?

His story is a great one, having been cut by Santa Clara and working through the Independent Leagues before the Sox bought his rights for $1. But let's see some sustainability before we get too excited.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, Ellsbury developed into a pretty good player. The issue with him is injuries.

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Nava's big key pinch hit was a blooper down the first-base line that fell between three players (i.e. more luck than anything). He's also hitting 375/429/625 at Fenway and 208/296/292 on the road. I'm sure he's a nice guy and it is a great story (which I read about after his grand slam), but let's not get too crazy.

Draft saved Draft deleted