1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Naturally, no thread yet on Romney's speech Thursday

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Yawn, Dec 6, 2007.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

This thimg's gotten so hyped up, and his campaign as so fed into it, that anything short of the Gettysburg Address, MLK's "I Have a Dream" or Valvano's ESPY speech is going to be a disappointment.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Appears to me little more than an attempted slap at evolution.

Yeah, Planet Earth's less than 8000 years old.

Suuuuure, it is . . .

I've read the speech text . . . don't really see how much good he did for himself . . . don't know anyone other than nosepicking idiots who aren't in favor of folks enjoying the freedom to worship the God(s) they want to revere . . .

3. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Wicked you may be, but can you possibly be that stupid to detect race in that remark? Go get a fucking job with the ACLU. Apes have no race and they are the basis for the belief in human evolution, nitwit. You can't possibly be as stupid as you just came off.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No different? Did he quote Kennedy verbatim or something?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Do you ever start a thread or make a post that in not intended to start a flame war?
    I just read the entire text of Romney's speech at the NY Times website ... nothing new there, nothing to get excited about one way or the other.
    Unless you're Yawn and you want to see who you can disparage (like the disgusting comment about Pastor) and get into a pissing contest with.

6. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I think we should take a moment to ingest a meaningful political speech (from JFK):

While the so-called religious issue is necessarily and properly the chief topic here tonight, I want to emphasize from the outset that we have far more critical issues to face in the 1960 election; the spread of Communist influence, until it now festers 90 miles off the coast of Florida--the humiliating treatment of our President and Vice President by those who no longer respect our power--the hungry children I saw in West Virginia, the old people who cannot pay their doctor bills, the families forced to give up their farms--an America with too many slums, with too few schools, and too late to the moon and outer space.

. . .

I believe in an America that is officially neither Catholic, Protestant nor Jewish--where no public official either requests or accepts instructions on public policy from the Pope, the National Council of Churches or any other ecclesiastical source--where no religious body seeks to impose its will directly or indirectly upon the general populace or the public acts of its officials--and where religious liberty is so indivisible that an act against one church is treated as an act against all.

For while this year it may be a Catholic against whom the finger of suspicion is pointed, in other years it has been, and may someday be again, a Jew--or a Quaker--or a Unitarian--or a Baptist. It was Virginia's harassment of Baptist preachers, for example, that helped lead to Jefferson's statute of religious freedom. Today I may be the victim--but tomorrow it may be you--until the whole fabric of our harmonious society is ripped at a time of great national peril.

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/40/story_4080_1.html

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The orangutans would disagree with you. They are constantly being slandered by chimps as "fuzzy, orange, long-armed losers." And you can see the hurt in their eyes.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

...and neither do I look with favor upon those who would work to subvert Article VI of the Constitution by requiring a religious test--even by indirection--for it. If they disagree with that safeguard they should be out openly working to repeal it.

. . .

This is the kind of America I believe in--and this is the kind I fought for in the South Pacific, and the kind my brother died for in Europe. No one suggested then that we may have a "divided loyalty," that we did "not believe in liberty," or that we belonged to a disloyal group that threatened the "freedoms for which our forefathers died."

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Interestingly, in certain parts of this world, that is how Catholics refer to Protestants.

11. Candidly?
    Unrehearsed?
    Mitt Romney?
    Wow.
    And yawn, you will tell us where in the Bible it says that Jesus personally visited the Plains Indians and the Polynesian islanders.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

To be fair, you wouldn't call an apple a cucumber, would you? They're just being honest.

Draft saved Draft deleted