1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nats beat writer asks blog readers to send him to spring training

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Feb 9, 2010.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Re: Former Nats beat writer asks blog readers to send him to spring training

would each of you please send me a dollar? pretty please?

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'll send $20 to Haiti if they send somebody to cover Royals spring training. And I want podcasts with Zack Greinke.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Not familiar with that, sorry.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Back when Bob Greene was still writing columns in Chicago, he did one on a kid who was asking everyone to send him a penny. He was trying to raise money for college. He figured a penny means nothing to most people, so it wasn't too much to ask for.

Of course, a lot of people responded and most sent more than a penny and the thing was a huge success.

5. Smasher_Sloan

I don't know about AZ, but FL cranks up all the prices during ST. Some crappy Days Inn that sells for $25 the rest of the year will be $75 or more during ST.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This is pretty much the new way of doing things on the web. A lot of musicians, webcomic artists and programmers I know support themselves this way. I think bloggers doing it is a great idea.

He needs to look into licensing some merchandise, too. Have to be careful about trademarks of course.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And let's change the title on this. He's a current Nats beat writer. He's going to spring training!

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1666973,00.html

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Since when is it your place to declare where people should send their money?

If you don't like it, double your donation to Haitian relief. I'm sure that'll make you feel even better and more superior to everyone else.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

wouldn't the money be considered a gift? that would mean paying gift taxes instead of income tax where much of the money could be deducted under business expenses.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Travel is a huge red flag with the IRS. There have been a lot of stories where people sent themselves on exotic vacations, then tried to write off all or part of the trip because they wrote a feature for the travel section.

I'm not saying there's a direct comparison here, but you'd better have everything in order if you're using travel as a business deduction.

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Imagine what you could do if you were a respected beat writer covering a team that someone actually cares about. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted