1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nats beat writer asks blog readers to send him to spring training

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Re: Former Nats beat writer asks blog readers to send him to spring training

No.
    He's a nine-year member of the writer's association. As I understand it, there was a deal put in place where any member who was laid off - as Mark was - kept his card for a year. That would be year No. 10, which I understand makes you a member for life.

2. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Stand corrected. And a good policy.

3. Mike Nadel

Mike Nadel Member

Very interesting post. Just so happens, today's the day I wrote my last blog - at least for now.

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/mike-nadel-baldest-truth

Giving up the blog I'd been doing for 3-plus years - I launched The Baldest Truth the week the Bears went to the '07 Super Bowl, back when I was still writing columns for Copley - wasn't an easy decision. I kept writing it long after GateHouse laid me off last year because I wanted to have a body of work to show potential employers. Now I'm hoping that my freelance stuff will carry the day should an opportunity ever arise. I'm not holding my breath.

In the end, I simply got tired writing for free. I did consider the asking-for-money route but decided against it. I applaud Mark's efforts and those of others like him and I'm rooting for them to get what they want out of it.

I do hope they have some other outlets to make actual money they actually can live on (vs. donations just for expenses), because getting little to no salary is a rough way to make a go in this or any other business.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

That's great news.

Thanks for that tidbit, Moddy.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

OK, I'll reluctantly be the voice of dissent here.

I don't know the guy, but I genuinely feel bad that he was a victim of the Times cuts. I admire his ingenuity, but I'd feel better about this if he were selling subscriptions to a blog or a website rather than counting on direct contributions. It has that feel of "send a poor kid to camp this summer," and that's not good.

Beyond that, with all the needs in the world, doesn't someone feel odd about writing a check to send a writer to ST?

Again, if you're buying a sub to something, that's one thing. This has the feel of panhandling.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

People aren't buying online subs, though...anywhere. Newsday.com has 35 subscribers. Granted, that's because Long Islanders hate Cablevision, but still. That is a pretty damning indictment of how long there is to go before readers find it necessary to pay for content.

But I think the donation thing flies, b/c it's a one-time thing and nobody's worried about getting billed on an annual basis from now until the end of time. The reader still feels as if he's getting free content...he's just chipping in a little bit to assure some coverage over six weeks.

I can see why you're skeptical of the practice, but also why the sites in Cincy and DC are doing this.

7. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

hey, why send money to haiti when you can help an ex-sportswriter get out of the cold...

8. VJ

VJ Member

I didn't realize that you couldn't make your $10 Haiti donation if you sent $20 to a laid off reporter trying to cover spring training. One donation doesn't make the other impossible.

And if we're trying to get on a moral high ground, why spend any money on entertainment when you could be giving it to charities and those less fortunate? It's a stupid and baseless argument.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Avatar is going to be the biggest hit ever. People always find money for things that entertain them and bring them happiness, even when the economy is in the shitter. If someone wants to spend his $20 to send a writer to ST instead of on Avatar, who cares?

Edit: Apparently it's already the biggest hit ever. But I loathe James Cameron so I pay no attention to the movie or its hype.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Dude had a following, his paper shut it down.
    Dude kept it going, but said if you want to read my stuff, I'm going to need some cash.
    His following said okay.
    Two things:
    1) I guess this blows the whole nobody notices the byline idea. In fact, people do read them and your name is a personal band. You should work to protect it.
    2) Having patrons, and that's what this is, is a time-honored concept in the art world. While it was never common practice in the newspaper biz, at least not on the level of the art world, I think this is something we'll see more and more of.
    I expect Poynter to check in any day now with some navel gazing handwringing as why this is bad and in the very long run, they might be right, but people are just trying to make a living doing what they love.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I'm wondering if this type of thing becomes more common if the media companies will start to view their talent more as an asset that gas value to consumers?

Nah.

12. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

No, media companies will suggest that their talent raise funds for their projects.

Draft saved Draft deleted