1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nats beat writer asks blog readers to send him to spring training

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Feb 9, 2010.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Re: Former Nats beat writer asks blog readers to send him to spring training

It doesn't exactly scream professional but I guess if it helps keeps his face around the game it may help him get a job.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd rather send money so they can travel during the season.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Bingo.

One of the reasons I sent this guy money and started this thread is that this idea hits home for me, because almost exactly a year ago, I was in the exact same spot as him.

I was a displaced MLB beat writer, so I started a blog. Like Mark, I billed it for readers as a place to get professional coverage from someone with contacts, not just another "couch blogger."

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/66651/

As I wrote then...

It got to be relatively popular (700-1000 visits a day) and within a couple months I actually had a new job, better than the one I had left. I am convinced that my blog helped me get the job, because part of the initial discussion with my new employer was that they might want to buy my blog.

Without that blog, I might be working McDonalds' right now.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Where can you start a blog and how much money (if any) does it cost?

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Why do I have the sick feeling that newspaper bosses are going to grab onto this idea and force their writers to solicit donations to fund their travel expenses, paychecks, etc.? "Hey, we should get a cut of that money!"

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I think blogspot, which is powered by google, is the easiest, and it's free. However, it has limitations, which I found quickly last year. One of them being your domain is myblog.blogspot.com, rather than just myblog.com.

I think the best way to go if you want something professional and expandable is wordpress.org. you've got to have a little computer savvy and it costs money. You can register you domain name for about $10 a year and the hosting costs vary, but can be done for $5-10 a month.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Bake sales and raffle tickets. Door-to-door.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

By the way, he's now raised 92 percent of his goal in a day and a half. Pretty incredible, if you ask me.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Wordpress is another alternative.

I'm wondering what's not professional about it? These guys have eliminated the middle men (ad and circulation folks) and taken their product directly to the people. They're not promising anything but content in return. They're doing sales and journalism, so I'd say it's harder than just being a writer. I wouldn't call it unprofessional.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Does he have 92 percent in hand or is he taking pledges?

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

You mean a promise to pay isn't the same thing as cash on the barrel head?

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Rosecrans had a similar success. I think it's documented on his cnati blog.

It'd be an interesting exercise for an established, well-respected beat writer to strike out on his own this way. I'd bet David O'Brien, for instance (used as example because he has a pretty successful blog at ajc.com, could make it work.

Draft saved Draft deleted