1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nationwide Tour Greater Medinah Open Running Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

I don't think any of our moddys are to be trifled with anymore, or they'll just get with Webby, and shut the whole sumbitch down.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Several posts got deleted, thank you. The ones that didn't stick to the fucking topic.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Good. I really didn't want to have that "very special episode" of SportsJournalists.com.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Didn't see any of the objectionable posts, but I trust and value Moddy's judgement. What he says goes.

Back on topic -- will someone need to shoot a 66 today to win this thing? It's looking that way.

And I know the PGA has usually been the lowest scoring of all the majors, but you ususally don't see this many mid-60 rounds, especially in a third round. Obviously, the weather had something to do with it, but there has to be more to it than just overnight rains.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

As Steve Elling of Orlando wrote yesterday.... call the engraver. This one's in the bag.

Donald is throwing up all over himself, Weir isn't tearing up the front nine (like you have to do here) and Scott is running out of birdie holes.

Messr. Woods is already in defense mode, hitting 3-woods. That is, when he's not draining bombs like the 25-footer he just sank on No. 8

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I remember when majors were dramatic, theatrical affairs.

Tiger just puts the rest of the cats to sleep.

This is the first time I have thought that only injury can keep Tiger from catching Jack.

Bravo, young man.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I don't mind if the PGA sets up the course with straightforward receptive greens, but, Christ, make the rough an absolute, no-questions asked 1-shot penalty.

6 inches deep.

8. It is....the rough is penal, the fairways and landing areas are just more forgiving in this major. Throw in the soft greens because of the weather in Chicago recently and you've got a ball strikers paradise. I've seen Woods as well as others this week have to pitch back in the fairway. Each major has it's own setup...this one is right for Woods.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

He hasn't really dominated the US Open, because his driver costs him too much or the greens are usually too brutal for him.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Well, that's true, Freelance. But you could also say that he hasn't dominated the PGA, either, because he's got T29-T10-T29-T39-T24 finishes in between his soon-to-be 3 wins and two other top 5s.

But assuming he holds on today, he'll be one U.S. Open away from having a career Grand Slam x 3. ... (Right now, he's got 4 Masters, 2 U.S., 3 Brits and 3 PGAs.)

EDIT: The triple Grand Slam would match Jack, who had 3 Brits, 4 U.S. Opens, 5 PGAs and 6 Masters. ... 12 down, 6 to go.

Wow.

11. This was my very next point...Woods doesn't dominate US Opens at all....save for Pebble. That's why many are having a tough time calling his swing and game better than 2000. It's just not....his swing then was much less complicated and he dominated that Open leaving the Driver in the bag for the most part. A lot of people forget that although Tiger won that tournament at -12, 2nd was +3....so the course was not set up easy.

According to the USGA, the set up for an Open is opportunity to test a player using every club and the venues are set up to reflect that.

12. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Woods did not have to pitch back because of the rough, onlyt because of trees.

Draft saved Draft deleted