1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nationals beat writer, The Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

How do you mean? Not meaning to criticize, I'm genuinely curious how style of writing can be sport specific. Especially since the paragraph identifies the game as baseball.

2. Funny thing is a friend made contact with the folks at the Post and they told him they liked his stuff but he did not have experience covering baseball and they feel that is needed for this job. That's a little different than the ad. Also friends in the DC area say Post has never been open to hiring sports people from the Times. Friend who used to work at Post said there were several times he recommended someone from the Times and it fell on dead ears.

3. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Sorry Harry, that was an inside joke about the NBA ... with, I guess, only myself included. I was commenting specifically on the part of the sentence that read ...

"after a brief bout with competence, were back to the same old problems, tripping into an early deficit, showing little pulse thereafter, and fully restoring their identity as a team adept only at keeping itself unhappy."

Other than having a close friend who is involved in the NBA, I generally loathe the NBA, have for years, and that portion of the sentence about the Nationals had me envisioning what I see, at least, when I watch an NBA game.

Joking aside, yes, that was a nice passage. BTW, has this been filled?

4. WerenCole

WerenCole New Member

I do not believe this has been filled as Chico Harlan is still writing Nationals stories right now.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

bostonsportsmedia.com is reporting Boston Globe Patriots' beat writer Adam Kilgore is taking the job ...

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I hope that's true, I knew he'd interviewed.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Former Post guy, right?

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Interesting move. Congrats.

9. Moderator1

Intern. Covered Virginia Tech, hell of a good reporter, hell of a good guy. Went to Boston when his internship ran out, covered the Sox and then the Patriots.
    I've already warned him of fanboy loosers on the loose. Like me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. Moderator1

This is confirmed via the Pipeline, not that we needed it after the Boston Media report. But for those who still wondered - the Pipeline is rock solid.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Good for Kilgore! Boston's got a lot of talented writers covering the Sox like Amalie and Tony as it is, so hopefully this is Adam's chance to shine.

12. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

That's the right hire.

Draft saved Draft deleted