1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nationals beat writer, The Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Nov 18, 2009.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

These are the types I fear will be "writing" baseball - all sports, come to think of it - when we're all in that great press box in the sky, or the last newpaper goes out of business: Eager-beaver fanboys who gloss over a three-base error that let the winning run score, just because the Hometown Hickeys were trying so hard ... either that or the sportstalk types who never get out of the studio and out to the park to see a game, but will rip all the players a new one on a daily basis, deserved or not. It takes more than a 20-second attention span to do this job.

2. TheHoopsReport

TheHoopsReport New Member

Does anyone have the e-mail addresses for those three contacts? Thank you.

3. nate41

nate41 Member

Couldn't find any on their site, and the combinations I tried kept bouncing back, but sports@washingtonpost.com seemed to go through.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They're not on the site.
    I'll give you a hint. It is washpost.com

And hurry. Dec. 2 is almost over.

5. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Well, that's the state of mass journalism in the Internet age. Sad but true. Anyone can be a journalist in this day and age. Everyone is a journalist in this day and age. Got a camera? Recorder? Chase an ambulance, write what you see and WHAMO! It's on the Internet for the whole world to see.

Ever read some of the crap on Fanhouse, Bleacher Report and the like? You don't need qualifications anymore. I heard recently of a guy now covering a pro sport for a blog or some such thing - don't know any names or teams - who brought one of the players cookies one day. That's where we are.

6. JJHHI

JJHHI Member

Does the Times have a beat writer they could snag?

7. Moderator1

Two. Two good ones. Not sure either is interested but the Times does have two good reporters assigned to the Nats.

8. goose

goose Member

Sources close to one of them say he is definitely interested... :)

9. Moderator1

Hmmmmmmmm. Well, as a faithful reader of all things Nats, I'd be thrilled if either of them or both got the gig.
    I'd be more thrilled if the Times kept its sports section

10. Bruhman

Bruhman Active Member

I imagine that Nats beat writers for TWT would be very interested in covering the team for TWP ... regardless of TWT's plans.

What's the over/under for applications received by the Dec. 2 deadline?

Whatever it is, I'll take the over.

11. jetssack

jetssack Member

Wow. He sets the bar pretty high.

There could be a worse gig than the Nats. The Nets come to mind.

12. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

That's absolutely some nice phrase-turning, but it reads more like coverage of the NBA.

Draft saved Draft deleted