1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nationals beat writer, The Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Got this from The Pipeline but not sure if it was an in-house note (seems like one) or if it will be opened up. Anyway:

After two very long seasons doing an outstanding job covering the Washington
    Nationals, Chico Harlan
    is eager for a new challenge at the Post, and a well-deserved one. We
    do not fault Chico for having failed to bring winning baseball to the
    District. In fact, he now joins a long list of baseball writers who
    have come up short in that regard. What this means is that we are
    looking for a new reporter to cover the Nats. This is one of the most
    high profile and rewarding beats in Sports because our coverage of the
    city's MLB franchise is at the center of our department's mission. It
    is also a very demanding job. It involves covering upwards of 140-150
    games per year, in addition to spring training and the off-season. The beat
    writer is also responsible for regular posts to the
    Nationals Journal blog, which has a large and passionate following of
    baseball fans. A background in sports is not essential, though the
    ideal candidate would be someone who has high energy, a willingness to
    travel and a love for the game of baseball.

We would like to fill this position soon to give the writer time to
    acclimate before the start of spring training in Florida in
    mid-February.

If interested, contact Matt Vita, Peter Perl, or Alexa Steele by December 2.

2. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Re: Baseball at WaPo

"A background in sports is not essential."

??

For an MLB beat gig with one of the country's most widely-read papers??? Seriously? Hell even most Podunk Press preps jobs like you to have a background in sports. Needless to say, I was shocked to read that.

3. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

I am really curious what Chico Harlan will cover next. He's an incredible wordsmith who turns one hell of a phrase. Whoever takes his job will have a hard time filling his shoes. I know many folks who would read Chico just to see how he would get his digs in on the Nats next. Because you always thought he had done it better than could be done the day before, and better than he would be able to do it again.

A personal favorite:

I don't know if anybody else out there pulls off such snarky gamers so well. I wonder if he'll earn a similar role as his equally gifted buddy Eli Saslow. Chico may actually even be a superior writer. I know Chico has been quoted as saying he'd like to be a food writer and there are few better places to do that than DC.

As for his replacement, I would have to think it's either an internal hire or they go back to somebody with Post ties. Marc Carig of the Star Ledger and Adam Kilgore of the Boston Globe both were two-year interns there. Carig covers the Yankees and Kilgore the Red Sox, so I think both could be strong candidates.

That said, everyone should apply, because there's nothing like spending 162 nights a year waiting for Ryan Zimmerman to decide you're more worthy of his time than the pimple on his back that is just beyond his reach.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

High-quality coverage and writing for a perennial loser is a challenge. I always liked Marc Topkin's work on the Rays when they sucked.

Maybe that's part of the "background in sports not essential" thing, since Nats baseball isn't always "sports".

Hi Moddy.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

merged

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlDC/the_revolving_door/wapo_seeks_new_nats_writer__143590.asp

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not 162? Definitely not more than that. :)

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Eh ... no need to travel in September.

8. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Sorry.

I'm out. Spring-training cuts into the heart of college basketball season. Plus, I've got no business trying to connect Miller Lite and Waffle House with an MLB streak concerning a team worse than killing a keg of Pabst.

Good luck ya'll!

9. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Anybody can cover a winning team. It takes a heck of a lot of talent to do a job like this.

10. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

True dat ... though a very bad team like the Nats does tend to give you a little poetic license. Not like you have to worry about offending the fans. Can't offend them any more than the team already does.

11. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Haha this is true.

12. tdonegan

tdonegan Member

Sorry but the "I'm embarrassed to cover sports" (paraphrasing here) line still digs pretty hard for me. He's a solid journalist but I just wish he had his head on straighter when he gave that interview. Even the very talented could use a dose of humility now and again. (Though I will admit I think his apology later was heartfelt.)

He's not a bad guy from what I understand, though, so hopefully he's moving to something he enjoys a little more.

Draft saved Draft deleted