1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nationals beat for Washington Post

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smasher_Sloan, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

I read that Chico Harlan has asked off the Nationals beat after two seasons. Any word on who will be taking over?

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The job itself is on the jobs board - but to the journalistic question (though I guess this COULD be all on one thread): I'd be surprised if they went outside the paper. They may go outside sports but my best educated guess is someone who is already at the Post will get this gig.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I saw Dave Sheinin did a couple stories this past week. Any chance it goes back to him?

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Dave should be more than a beat writer, no? I've always considered him more of a national writer type. Excellent reporter.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I think Dave will remain in that national role, rather than in a Nationals role. He did some beat stuff - including the manager hire - while Chico was on vacation. Chico has posted on his blog that he'll handle things from here until someone is annointed.

I wish it would be Dave. Damn, he's good.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Jason Reid, if he wants back on baseball, maybe?

After doing football/Redskins, it's sort of doubtful that would be the case. But he's certainly another strong reporter, with a baseball history going back to his coverage of the Dodgers for the Los Angeles Times.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Every time the Post assigns this they've told the writer "You only have to do it for two years..."

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I think two-year rotations are often typical of major beats at major papers. Baseball, however, seems to be the only one for which writers often use the out clause after a certain amount of time, a span that usually depends on how much the individual writer loves and is committed to baseball itself as their sport of choice.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it's more typical for baseball than the other major beats. I know a lot of people (myself included) who begged off a baseball beat after two years. I don't know too many who have done that while covering the NBA, NHL or the NFL.

Covering baseball is a BRUTAL job. A lot of the big papers used to break it up into a three-man beat so it wasn't quite as brutal, but these days I doubt too many papers have three guys on a baseball beat.

10. DCguy

DCguy Member

I would think that one of the younger college guys -- Steve Yanda or Zach Berman (who helped out when Chico was off) -- would have a good shot at it. Yanda has done a great job with colleges.

11. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

If you're going to cover a major beat, you really should figure on three years. It takes the first year just to figure out what you're doing .....

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Doesn't acquiring and maintaining expertise on a beat add to one's job security? You'd think reporters would cling to their beats longer so as to make themselves more valuable, rather than interchangeable. I know it's a grind, believe me, but unless the brass mandates a beat rotation, I wouldn't be sticking my head up seeking a breather these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted