1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nationals 5 Pirates 0

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Apr 1, 2010.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

US Navy frigate captures 5 pirates near Seychelles

NAIROBI, Kenya – U.S. naval forces say they've captured five pirates after exchanging fire with them, sinking their skiff and confiscating a mother ship.

The USS Nicholas came under fire early Thursday from pirates in an area west of the Seychelles.

The U.S. Africa Command said the five pirates seized would remain in U.S. custody on board the frigate for time time being. The Nicholas is home-ported in Norfolk, Va.

International naval forces have stepped up their enforcement of the waters off East Africa in an effort to thwart a growing pirate trade.

Experts say piracy will continue to be a problem until an effective government is established on Somalia's lawless shores. The country has not had a functioning government for 19 years

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100401/ap_on_re_af/af_piracy

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Finally. The Gnats step up to the plate and hit.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Those weren't bullets that sunk the skiff. Those were fastballs from Stephen Strasburg.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The revenge of Nyjer Morgan.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yeah, I want to take on the U.S. Navy in a skiff.

I love that they also captured a mother ship. Did they communicate with it through music?

7. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Re: Natinals 5 Pirates 0

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Fixed.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Ryan Zimmerman went three-for-three.

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

Just wondering...

If Somalia has gone on for 19 years without a government, what would be their motivation to establish one any time soon?

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Just gonna throw this out there:
    They didn't attack a Danish freighter or the Madagascar Scuba team. They went after a friggin' U.S. NAVAL SHIP?
    To me, that smacks of a pretty idiotic thing to do. The only reason I can possibly see them going on that kind of a suicide mission was to distract the U.S. ship from stopping another attack elsewhere. Why else would you go after a ship that can sink you pretty much whenever it decides to?

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

So, you're a U.S. military vessel out there minding your own business (a big assumption, I know, but play along). You are fired upon. Wouldn't it just have been easier to fire a couple of shells that leave all the occupants as a buffet of sorts for the sharks to clean up?

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Are you saying untrained pirates with AK-47s in a skiff are no match for this?

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted