1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Unfriend Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I've had some odd friendings in the past month -- a few people from high school I don't remember even after I am seeing their photo, and a colleague who clearly did not like me 20 years ago. I may just be cannon fodder for the big day of unfriending, a painless notch in their belts.

A few months ago I friended a long-ago girlfriend, who accepeted with the caveat that a lot of people have been unfriending her and it hurts, so don't do it or she'll be pissed (DANGER! DANGER!). No probs, though. She is one strange chick, I have to say. I can absolutely see why some of her eccentricities appealed to me then and why eventually some of then repelled me. Reasonably safe by time elapsed and geographic diffference, she is amusing and I have no intention of unfriending her.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Did you finish on her grille?

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. Some of my older cousins and my aunts have sent me friend requests, and I block them from viewing my wall. No need for my dad to find out everything through them.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Actually, there's an entry in the AP Stylebook. It's unfriend. Though it also says, "Also defriend, an acceptable but less common usage."

5. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I jumped the gun. I unfriended someone today. It weas because she chose to shill about the bank that financed her loan for the theater she and her husband opened on her personal profile. I could see doing it on the theater's page but "We'd like to THANK Podunk State Bank for the loan that allowed us to open Podunk Cinema. We think they're awesome and if you ever need any help with your money you should go to them!" wasn't any better than spam. Considering that she friended me only because I work at the paper and she has 600 or so friends on her profile, I don't think she'll even notice.

Draft saved Draft deleted