1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Unfriend Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Do I have to unfriend the hot women fond of bikinis who I haven't talked to in five years? Because I don't wanna.

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Crusoes, when is your niece's 18th birthday? A big girl celebration is in order. ... Sorry I had to.

3. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I'd unfriend my father-in-law if it would go unnoticed.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Yeah, you can. If you customize your privacy settings, you can control who has access to particular parts of your profile -- wall, tagged photos, your own photo albums, status updates, the whole lot. You can't block an individual person, but you can create groups of people and then set your default settings so that updates, etc., aren't seen by that group. (This is unrelated to the new Groups function, the purpose of which I haven't managed to unravel yet, mostly because I don't care.)

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

"FESTIVUS IS YOUR HERITAGE!"

6. Journo13

Journo13 Member

I want to know if the metal pole comes through the mail or through delivery.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you can block individual "friends" from seeing all but your most basic info.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You'd do just like you block certain apps from your news feed, I believe.

I know I don't get any Farmville, Fishville or whatever other apps updates my friends play.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

As the old saying goes: If my niece had a dick, I'd be his uncle.

Or something like that.

10. CYowSMR

CYowSMR Member

Question around the office is whether one is "unfriended" or "de-friended". Consensus is de-friended.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I've probably got like 50 people on my list of friends who I restrict access to the very basic stuff.

Does anyone else feel uncomfortable about accepting family members -- particularly older ones -- as friends? I have most of my cousins (ranging from seven to 16 years younger) as friends, though I rarely interact with any of them. However, my mom and various aunts/uncles are not, and I don't intend to let them in. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I don't feel quite right doing that. Maybe it's because I don't think they get my, ahem, *unique* sense of humor, or that they'd overreact if I got all drama-y and butthurt with a status update, or that they'd be all LOL YOUR FUNNY ;) or something equally lame with a wall post. I dunno. But I've told them all that I have no intention of adding them because it feels like I'm breaking a barrier that shouldn't be broken.

Am I crazy (about this particular issue)?

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Not crazy. Although, I am the other way around. I don't have any cousins under the age of 18 except for my Godson. I talk about adult topics on there for one, and two, I can't stand all the drama my teenage female cousins bring to Facebook.

Draft saved Draft deleted