1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Trivia Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 2, 2013.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Manfred Mann's version of Blinded By The Light is the only No. 1 single Bruce Springsteen ever wrote.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

In 1989, Wade Boggs swung at a pitch 1191 times and missed only 58 times.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I assumed "Fire" by the Pointer Sisters hit #1, but it only made it to #2.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

also Idaho, Washington and Oregon were once a territory known as The District of Columbia

Also, the first Thanksgiving Day game in the NFL was between Akron and Canton in 1920. Akron star Fritz Pollard would be named the teams head coach the following year, the first African-American head coach in NFL history. Canton star Jim Thorpe was league president at the time, the only non-white president or commissioner of a major pro sports league in North America.

5. Chris_L just kicked the shit out of his dog!

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay. Yep. Motley caught it. Hit by Andy Van Slyke.

7. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Idaho is a rest stop on I-84 between Salt Lake City and Portland.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

In a personal trivia note, Buck is short for Buckley.
    I was named after the late William F. Buckley Jr. My father sent him a letter when I was christened, informing him that he had named a son Buckley.

Buckley sent me an autographed copy of 'Up from Liberalism.' The hadnwritten note on the inside reads: 'Dear Buckley, Life is hard enough without a first name like Buckley. Good luck.'

I still have it on my bookshelf.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Washington Redskins used two No. 1 draft picks on the same player. They picked Cal Rossi of UCLA with their top pick in '46, then didn't realize he was only a junior, and not eligible under the rules of the time. Then they picked him with one of their two first-round picks that year (Harry Gilmer was the other), only to find out that Rossi didn't want to play pro football.

And here we rip on teams for drafting poorly nowadays.

10. That is fantastic!

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

The Jetsons' dog was originally called Trailfaz.

12. If you blew up an atom to the size of a football stadium - the nucleus of the atom would only be the size of a marble.

Draft saved Draft deleted