1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Trivia Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 2, 2013.

1. Friday is National Trivia Day. What's your favorite bit of trivia?

One of my favorites is the fact that the word trivia comes from the Latin tri via - three roads. At the junction of roads - news and messages were posted and these little bits of information became known as tri via and then to the moderns - trivia.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I've always enjoyed the story that plumber Thomas Crapper is credited with improvements in the flush toilet.

3. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

My favorite trivia question to ask people is when people start talking about history of MTV and it seems most everyone knows the first song ever played on that network.

My question is what was the first song played on VH1 ... which no one seems to get, except someone here will because we are smarter than the average bear!

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The breakdown of Stan Musial's 3,630 career hits: 1,815 at home and 1,815 on the road.

5. During Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hit streak - Ted Williams actually had a higher batting average over the same span of games (.408 to .425 IIRC)

6. Boom_70

Willie Mays in on deck circle for Bobby Thompson's HR.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Lombardi trophy is 22 inches high.
    It is made by Tiffany's in New Jersey.

8. Boom_70

Trophy named after Vince Lombardi who was the head coach of The Green Bay Packers- the team that won the first Super Bowl ever played.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Aleister Crowley was on the first expedition that attempted to summit K2.
    The expedition did not succeed.

10. Boom_70

Both John Adams and Thomas Jefferson died on July 4, 1826.

11. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

In the game where Tom Dempsey hit the longest field goal in NFL history, 63 yards, he also hit the shortest possible field goal, 8 yards (goal posts were on the goal line until 1974).

Obert Logan, a safety for the 1967 Saints, was the last NFL player to wear the number '0'

12. He was also the only professional sports player named Obert.

Draft saved Draft deleted