1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Trivia Day

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 4, 2012.

1. Today is National Trivia Day. Who knew?

What is your favorite piece of trivia?

One of mine is the fact that the word trivia comes from the fact that news announcements were often placed at the intersection of Roman roads which because they were at right angles usually meant an intersection of three roads - tri (three) vias (roads).
  2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Thomas Jefferson and John Adams dying on the same day (July 4, 1826), exactly 50 years after signing the Declaration of Independence.
  3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

A great one from a Sporcle quiz I took recently ...

There's only one state capital that has NO letters in common with the state it is in.

(I'll post the answer if no one can guess it)
  4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Pierre, South Dakota???
  5. Steak Snabler

Pierre, South Dakota

EDIT: Dammit, Fly!
  6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I knew it wouldn't take long.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Baseball-related, Walter Johnson didn't pitch in his final big-league game, but came up as a pinch-hitter for pitcher Tom Zachary.

And it was the same game that Babe Ruth hit his 60th home run in 1927, off of Zachary.
  8. Steak Snabler

Hoyt Wilhelm homered in his first major-league at-bat, and never hit another one despite playing 21 seasons.
  9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Dick Butkus and Bobby Hull both have the same middle name, which is (DON'T LOOK IT UP!) . . .
  10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I shouldn't say it's my favorite trivia question, because it's really the answer that I like. So here it is:

Who hit the first grand slam HR in Seattle Mariners history?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Always liked the one that two pitchers from the same high school in San Diego grew up to pitch perfect games for the New York Yankees.
  12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The Gateway Arch in St. Louis is as wide as it is tall.

(I've been there and I STILL don't believe this.)
Draft saved Draft deleted