1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National title game: Ohio State vs. ________

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mystery_Meat, Dec 3, 2006.

?

Who SHOULD be Ohio State's opponent?

Poll closed Dec 10, 2006.
  1. Florida

18 vote(s)
    40.9%
  2. Michigan

15 vote(s)
    34.1%
  3. Boise State

11 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. LSU

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Oklahoma

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Who has written a story yet claiming Florida has not shot at OSU? They just announced the pairing.

2. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Does Mike Freeman have a vote? Wait, can't be. Freeman is writing a sequel column to hammer home the point that Meyer is ruining Leak and the Gators by using two QBs. Bet Mike's proud of that column right about now.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If this board can be used as a small sample size ...

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I'll grant you that one. But I doubt we'll see a significant number of stories along those lines in the coming days. And I doubt I'll hear nearly as much dissing of Florida (from the scribes) next month in Arizona as I did of OSU in 2002.

5. GFav44

GFav44 Member

If they get blown out, people would say Michigan belonged. If they keep it close or win, then they will prove that they belong.

6. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

If Michigan had played a 13th game, say against any other Big Ten team besides Ohio State this week, would it be going to the BCS title game and not Florida?

PS - I'm amazed that more isn't made of Florida's shoddy nonconference schedule: crap-ass Central Florida, very middling (bad, even?) Florida State, and a 2-9 Division I-AA team. At least Michigan beat a then-No. 2 Notre Dame at Notre Dame; Vanderbilt, a team from the "best conference in the country" and the MAC champion (41-17), plus another MAC team that lost each of its three games to Big Ten teams by 10 points or less.

Fire away.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Um, whatinhell are you blathering about? The two situations are nowhere near the same.

Ohio State coughed its guts up against a shitty Michigan State team that year.

Damn. The only things lamer than the selective, short-term memories are the lame justifications for putting Florida at No. 2.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

You can't hold Florida State against Florida. That's a perennial power that has recently fallen on hard (relatively) times.

Now the other two non-conference games? Can't defend Florida on those.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Michigan had their shot. The only way a rematch made any sense was if Michigan had won the first time around. Of the teams listed here, I reckon Florida is as good as any,

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Then why was Michigan ranked No. 2? Are you saying the voters would have dipped down to Oklahoma, if necessary, to avoid a rematch? Because that's just flat-out dumb.

Draft saved Draft deleted