1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Spelling Bee Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain_Kirk, May 31, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I watched this for 30 minutes this morning while working out.

I have never heard of any word those kids had to spell.

Next year, they should use Tiffany, Tiffani, Tyffani, Ashley, Ashleigh, Ashly, Ashlee, or any other trendy new girls name that has about 30 different ways to spell it, to cull the field early. Good luck, kids.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's the nerd equivalent to the LLWS.

And remember: the "E" in ESPN stands for entertainment. :)

3. boots

boots New Member

Child exploitation at its finest!

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm a little curious.

What live event was going on this morning/early afternoon, which ESPN could have shown instead, but didn't because they were airing this "annoying" competition?

And you really need to upgrade your cable from that one channel they give you that makes you a hostage to the things ESPN "forces" on you.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He's pissed because Rosie is off The View.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Wait, spelling and learning is showing the deterioration of America's youth? How so? Seems to me that spelling bees are a good thing, since it requires learning instead of sitting in front of televisions and playing video games.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Spelling bees are fine.

But when it gets to the point that news outlets report that a spelling bee "favorite" is out, in a competition involving 11-year-olds, it has lost all sense of proportion. The coverage (not the event) is exploitive.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

ha ha ha ha :)

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Spelling bees are a waste of time.

And I say that as somebody who went 9 years in school (2nd to 11th grades) without missing ONE WORD on a spelling test.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Next year the winner should be the one who can come up with the most ways to spell Kristy/Kristi/Christy...you get the idea.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Krystee.

12. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

[​IMG]
    Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Clinton speaks to Silicon Valley executives in Santa Clara, Calif., Thursday, May 31, 2007. (AP Photo/Paul Sakuma)

Draft saved Draft deleted