1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Speed Sport News ceases publication

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rmanfredi, Mar 22, 2011.

1. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

The magazine that Chris Economaki started in 1934 printed its last issue this week. They made the announcement today on their site - they will still keep updating the site with breaking news, but I have the sense this is just going to be a shell that goes away in a few months.

NSSN certainly did a lousy job of adopting to the 21st century - its main focus was news and results in an era where readers could get all of this a week earlier online. They should have shifted to longer format features and evergreen articles, but that wasn't was NSSN was about and they stuck with it until the end.

Still, if you cover motorsports, this is a bit of a 2x4 to the face.

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Truly sad. I was elbow to elbow with some of their people this weekend.
  3. crimsonace

crimsonace Active Member

Sad day. I loved reading NSSN, but you're right -- it was a 20th century publication that struggled to adapt. Yet, for real short-track racing junkies, there was no better place to get all the info in one publication.

The other issue is, there is so much racing writing out there -- much available online -- that it's difficult to keep readers even with longer-form features. There are more motorsports followers than there used to be, but few of those follow multiple feeder series quite like they used to. Short tracks are dying nationwide, and those fans were the backbone of NSSN's readership.
  4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

NSSN was the bible, pre-Internet, and Chris Economaki, long may he live, was the leader of the flock.
  5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

When I started covering motorsports it was fun to be a subscriber, but after a while the issues just piled up, unread.

Online is where it's at, blah blah, but I never pictured a guy working on his car outside Eldora Speedway putting down his wrench to go logon to his computer. He'd have a hard copy of NSSN. I feel bad for those folks.
Draft saved Draft deleted