1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Signing Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 4, 2015.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

"Surely spurious" is a great song title.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

But then how could my friends and I have gone apeshit yesterday when Mizzou landed the #2 overall recruit SUCK IT OHIO STATE YEAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

At lunch I looked up last year's top 10 picks in the NFL Draft and how Rivals had them ranked out of high school:

1. Jadveon Clowney - No. 1 recruit 2011
    2. Greg Robinson - No. 90 recruit 2011
    3. Blake Bortles - NR Top 100, No. 44 QB recruit 2012
    4. Sammy Watkins - No. 15 recruit 2012
    5. Khalil Mack - NR 2009, 2 stars
    6. Jake Matthews - No. 48 recruit 2010
    7. Mike Evans - NR 2011, 3 stars
    8. Justin Gilbert - NR Top 100, No. 26 "Athlete" recruit 2010
    9. Anthony Barr - No. 50 recruit 2010
    10. Eric Ebron - NR Top 100, No. 21 TE recruit 2010, 3 stars

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I know what they're getting at, but it's annoying to see "athlete" listed as the position for some recruits.

Aren't they all great athletes if they're playing D-I college football? :rolleyes:

5. Dick Whitman

I guess that list, standing alone, doesn't help us understand whether recruting rankings are a "crapshoot" or not. I'll have to look at the last 10 picks of that draft when I get a chance so we can compare.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

The football rankings have always been a joke. The basketball ones are more interesting because a lot of the guys have played with or against each other.

The current NFL MVP did not have a single scholarship offer after high school.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Alabama's recent recruiting rankings: 1-1-1-1-5-1-1

Kentucky's recent recruiting rankings: 22-34-48-37-48-41-57

They're not an exact science, for sure. But they aren't a joke, either. There's a reason these numbers are what they are.

8. Dick Whitman

After Ohio State smoked Oregon, I heard it pointed out that Ohio State had a huge number of five-star recruits and Oregon had one or two on its roster.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Ohio State won with size up front. Size of course is one of the prime metrics for recruit rating.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

One thing about the whole recruiting bit that I find terribly unseemly is the last-minute withdrawing of scholarship offers by coaches. Bobby Petrino pulled this with an RB out of SC this week, but I've read plenty of other similar stories over the years.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, but isn't that almost an unavoidable hazard under the current setup?

I mean, coaches can't just make, say, 25 offers because there will be a number of players who refuse those offers and choose to go elsewhere --- usually late in the process.

So as not to get stuck with only 17-18 signees, they over-offer, much the same way airlines overbook. And typically they will run out of room for everyone they offered --- happens dozens of times every year.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Signing Day is supposed to be the first day of signing, not the last day.

They get stuck with 17-18 kids, tough shit. Find some more on the second day. This is supposed to be about education and extracurricular activities.

Draft saved Draft deleted