1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Signing Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 4, 2015.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

In my day, recruiting -- rather than just signing day -- was transitioning into a thing that was actually covered, and it was one of the (many) reasons behind my coming to the conclusion that sports journalism was going to be a short trip for me. By the time I had my biggest beat (an upper-crust SEC program), stark indeed was the mismatch between: 1) readers' interest in recruiting; and 2) my interest/skills at covering it.

I recall we had one local kid who was maybe one of the top 10 or 15 recruits in the country, and the program I covered was a finalist for his services. I was expected to have a front-page story on signing day stating flat-out where the kid was going to sign. Thing was, he hadn't decided. Not good enough, said my editor. So I called my "source" -- a salesman from another part of the state who kept up with recruiting as a hobby -- who told me he'd heard this kid was signing with my program. Wasn't enough for me, but my editor insisted. Eff it, I said, and wrote a lead to the effect of "BigDude will sign today with StateU, Fishwrapper sources say." I figured one of two things was going to happen: 1) He'd sign with StateU and I'd get my boss off my back; or 2) He'd sign with someone else and I'd get an earlier-than-anticipated start to that next career I was contemplating.

He signed with StateU. I started my next career two months later.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

At least he didn't write "oriental"

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I love how Langi's so huge, the back tail of his tie is about 3 inches!

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's different in that it's supposed to be about furthering their education, not finding out their future employment location.

Yeah, I know. That's not what college sports is, or has been for the last 30 years. Which is part of why this is so creepy.

It's also why I found it amusing when the NCAA tried to claim that they are recruited as students. I've thought that if they really wanted to do that, then they should pass a rule only permitting a coach one home visit, only allowing any coach to attend one game per recruit, and limit the contact to a couple of letters, a phone call, and a text or two.

Since, after all, it's about education.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The NCAA, which penalizes the teeny- tiniest of on-field and on-court taunting or woofing, tolerates these goddamn news conferences which are NOTHING BUT taunting and woofing -- that's the entire reason they exist.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Would rather have my balls skewered with a swizzle stick than cover NSD.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Or just have the head of the sociology department make the home visits.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Anyone who wonders why the same teams tend to be good year after year should look at some of the recruiting classes. It's like an inverted NFL draft where the best 10 teams get the first 50 picks. I would like to see a breakdown about which programs got the most bang for their bucks in terms of football budget vs. recruiting ranking.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I have little interest other than to see where the local kids go, but I certainly don't think it's weird or creepy to follow it a little bit if you are a big CFB fan. What's weird or creepy is discussing it on message boards for hours and/or berating teenage athletes because they didn't go to your favorite school. I know the past four national champs had highly rated recruiting classes, but how many of these top prospects flame out/get hurt/can't qualify? It's far more of a crapshoot than the NFL draft.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

12. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Wonder is Cordell did that just to piss pops off, or (more likely) to express his independence.

Draft saved Draft deleted