1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Signing Day 2008 — Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I covered one of these "press conferences" about 12 years ago and the kid, who was one of the top players in the country, walked up to the podium, put on the hat of the school that everybody knew he would, signed the paper and then said,

"I don't know what the big deal is, I told everyone a month ago where I was going. I'm only here because my coach asked me to be..."

Smart kid...

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Chris Webber announced a press conference, then kept everyone waiting two hours while his team finished its meal after winning the Class B title.
    Tool.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I thought that was a bit harsh, then I read the story linked above. Now I am in complete agreement. Now I do hope he goes to Penn State, where hopefully he will be misused and eventually switched to outside linebacker.

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Out of all of these players who have a press conference to announce their college choice, how many turn out to be great college stars and how many turn out to be busts? I am thinking it's about half each way.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

There's the real sin of what a circus this recruiting mania has become ... it makes us turn 17-year-old kids into some kind of villain when they're trying to choose their future. Time to take a step back and think about what you're saying.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I've taken two steps back and still say fuck all this shit. Grown men and women obsessing over the college choice of a teenager. It's gay, and I feel sorry for these losers that follow and obsess over this shit. Not the recruiting reporters, those guys have a job to do. These clowns for Dear Old State U that spend all of their free time on Rivals.com watching amateur video of these kids and then babbling about them on message boards. I have cousin that's like this and I nearly tossed him down a flight of steps on Christmas Eve because he wouldn't STFU about this shit.

And more annoying are these kids that try to turn this into some soap opera. Andrew Johnson out of Penn Hills pulled this crap five years ago. These stupid kids talking about "shocking the world" with their choice, like some guy in Minsk is gonna wake up, turn on his computer and and go "WHAT?" Pryor's going where??"

7. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Johnson went to North Hills, BYM.

Agree with you, though. Some of these people need to get their priorities (no pun intended) in check.

8. outofplace

Shot, read the story. He had people coming from all over, but couldn't even extend the courtesy of calling the thing off because he wasn't ready? And he doesn't even have the decency to feel a little bit bad? Sorry, the kid has to take a little bit of blame on that one.

I agree that this has gotten ridiculously overblown. The coverage of Pryor in particular has been insane. I understand how his ego got to be like that. But there has to be some blame on both sides.

9. outofplace

Ouch BYM...I knew a few mutual acquaintances of ours who would never let you live that one down. Mostly because they desperately need lives, but still....

10. True words.
    One of WVU's "verbal's" changed his mind and went somewhere else a few years ago the team's chief radio guy, on his radio show, called the kid - a 17 or 18-year-old kid - a bald-faced liar.

This shit is way out of hand.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

THERE it is. We'd BETTER understand how his ego got to be like that. Because it's been fed.

As far as blame on both sides? OK, but we'd better start with the recruiting geeks and those who provide them with their fix.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'd love to see the Top 50 list from five or six years ago so we can find out how many of these kids went on to do nothing at the college level so it can be pointed out what a pathetic and worthless sports day this really is...

Draft saved Draft deleted