1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Signing Day 2008 — Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Got one at 9 a.m. and a school presser this afternoon.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Had a bunch cancelled today, but the kids are signing at home and sending the letters with their parents to fax.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The one I had today had a little drama leading up to it. The kid committed early, then had second thoughts and opened up the bidding. He went with his first choice in the end.

I joked if the hot tub was warm yet and got a laugh.

4. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

We had a kid who was pretty aloof for where he was going to sign. Wore the hat of one school, then signed with another. Spent the entire week wearing shirts for various schools so people wouldn't figure out where he was going.

5. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

This is getting to be yet another of those horrendously boring, much-ado-about-nothing, but we-have-to-do-it-anyway stories. So many kids commit early that the actual signing day ceased being news a long time ago. True, some kids back out of their commitments, but after a couple ugly incidents of that nature in my area a few years ago, everyone around here seems really intent on not letting that happen again.

If you dig around sometimes you get lucky and find something interesting ... there's one school in my area that always has multiple recruits, but had its coach get suspended in mid season. He ended up leaving the school, so we got into how the interim coach, who had never dealt with recruiting tasks before, managed the process after being thrust into the role.

That was interesting, but other than something like that, I find it really hard to get anything fresh out of signing day. With a few exceptions, most of these guys won't get on the field for a while. You probably covered them to death during the season. You probably ran something when they gave their verbal. Nothing like gushing a little more about a bunch of guys who will mostly be scout teamers for the next two years.

6. How'd Huckabee do?

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Where's Kevin Hart going?

8. markvid

markvid Guest

7 hours on ESPNU.

Also, Mr. Pryor may be headed to PSU.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08037/855148-49.stm

(No, Mustang, you're still a fanboy).

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fucking drama queen. Pull the plug.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Jeff Tedford just called me... There's a kid in Nevada who he really likes...

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ah, shit. Good for him. It's his decision. Nobody held a gun to the WWL's head making them come.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Fuck Pryor and the horse he rode in on. Kid's had every college and the national media sucking his dick for almost a full year and it still isn't enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted