1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Signing Day 2007

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Brookerton, Jan 26, 2007.

1. Brookerton

Brookerton Member

Signing day is right around the corner and I was hoping to generate some ideas from the board for this year's coverage.

What have you seen that has worked and not worked?

I work in an area that has about 18 schools and several guys are going to big time D-I schools and others are going to either some small D-I schools or I-AA. So there's plenty of guys out there to do stories on. I think we are sending people to at least four different signings. We'll have a recruiting notebook and lists of what schools are sending kids where and what colleges are getting local kids.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We're in a different situation than we were last year ... none of our local kids (20 or so schools) is considered a big-time DI prospect (we had a bunch last year). But that falls on our prep guy, anyway. We had a big-time local athlete sign at each of our local colleges last year (two FBS schools, one FCS school), so the three beat writers each took care of those kids and their schools and the prep guy did the rest.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

First, I'd clarify that DI and DI-AA are the same thing.
    Calling a kid a DI prospect doesn't mean he's going to be playing at the 119 or so I-A schools. It's the main reason the NCAA made that moronic name change.

As for story ideas, look to see if certain schools/conference are recruiting the area. If it's not a local conference, did it start with some success from years past? It would be a good sider to a feature profiling the biggest signee and where he's going.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Has anyone had any kids make early announcements (obviuously, they weren't "commitments") and then change their mind because of coaching changes or whatever reason?
    Our top 2 prospects, one offense, one defense, teammates on the No. 1 team in the state, both made early announcements and both have changed their plans.
    The QB -- with a famous last name -- bailed on Louisville after Petrino moved on, and won't decide now until signeing day (although Louisville is still in the picture).
    The DE announced in August he was going to ND, wavered when Weis changed his defensive coordinator and called us last night right after Urban Meyer left his house to tell us he was now going to Florida.

We have probably 15 D-1 players and a bunch iof 1-AA and D-2 guys but our main focus will be on the kids who changed their minds and a look at why kids make the early announcements when so many factors can change from August until February.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at that visit.

"Son, you wanna see what a DE can do in Gainesville? Mind if I pop in this tape of Jarvis Moss and Derrick Harvey sticking it up the Heisman Trophy winner's ass in the BCS title game?"

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Not in football. Try telling a kid going to Weber State or Northern Colorado is the same as going to Utah or Colorado State. In basketball, you are exactly right. In football, though, there is a big difference.

That said, I can't wait for this day to go away. We'll cover all the local schools and who faxes in the papers. We'll cover all the local kids signing with schools out of the area. But even with five D-I (and I-AA) schools, we'll focus big time on Team 1, Team 1a, Team D and then give marginal coverage to Team G and Team R on the A-Z scale.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

FBS. FCS. Learn it. Love it. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted