1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National prep FB rankings

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 24, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I rank this thread No. 4,434.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And a high-level recruit isn't always a great HS football player. Big schools will take kids on potential -- size, speed, strength, etc. -- rather than production. A kid from around here a few years ago went to Notre Dame despite playing like absolute crapola for his HS team. But he was huge and fast and the Irish figured they could coach him up.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and ...?

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

And that means you can't necessarily use recruiting as a basis for ranking HS teams. Pay attention, Tom.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, i got your point. i simply was hoping you'd finish your thought.

and ... how in the hell is the guy doing? did that type of recruiting work in this instance?

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Nah, he was a stiff in college, too.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thank you.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Conversely, a school that produced one of the best quarterbacks to come from this state didn't make the playoffs in his three years there, and I don't think they were ever any better than 6-4 in any season.

9. Mmac

Mmac Guest

I've seen that several times--in both football and basketball -- players who really aren't that good in HS get big-time college offers simply because they've got the right body type. Sometimes those guys actually do develop in college, more often they do not.

And your overriding point is also true about recruits being a highly inaccurate measure. I've seen HS teams with no 5-star recruits kick the ass of teams that had em too many times to buy that test.

10. HeinekenMan

I guess this is thread-jacking a bit, but what are your thoughts on the role of reporters in the recruiting process? It seems that hype goes a long way, and there's a tendency toward pack journalism. I mean, it's not as if the only good quarterbacks are those who attend one of 10 different universities. Sometimes, it seems that way, as if it's predetermined that Stud A will win the Heisman when the reality is that some obscure guy off in Hawaii could by the bigger stud.

11. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Are you asking about our role in the recruiting process or our role in choosing Heisman winners?

12. HeinekenMan

I'm asking whether prognostication goes too far when it makes it seem like 10 guys are the greatest thing since sliced bread and everyone else isn't worth a lump of coal. Lots of great athletes go unnoticed, and I'm curious at to the how guilty the media is of overlooking some guys and over-hyping others. After all, Tony Romo went undrafted, as did several other NFL players.

Draft saved Draft deleted