1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Magazine Awards Finalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Mar 11, 2010.

1. I remember that Trib story. It was right around Christmas that year, I believe. When I read it, I thought it would win a Pulitzer Prize. Might have even posted that on here somewhere, about it being Pulitzer time the same way all the Oscar hopefuls get released in December.

I'd have to go back and compare the two pieces to see the differences, but I'm definitely one of the people who read both.

But the larger point stands that, yes, the Chicago Tribune basically broke the story.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Garden and Gun won; I'm very pleased, although I see the May edition was left out of the nominations. I presume it's because of that controversial "I'm going wabbittttt hunting" cover that was so vocally protested by the Anti-Stuttering Defamation League.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Oooohhhhhh. This diwector is stawting to wub me the wong way.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No nominations for Outside, again.

That magazine won three consecutive general excellence awards in the late 1990s. Now it hasn't even gotten a single nomination in any category since 2007.

Good gosh, I used to love that magazine. I still subscribe. But there's no denying it's a shell of what it was.

5. ringer

ringer Active Member

I agree. I think of that mag as nothing but lists and nuggets now. New(ish) young editor thinks that's what sells. Maybe it does temporarily, but the content is enirely disposable. Different priorities, I guess.

6. Moderator1

Agree on Outside. I don't even go outside and I loved what that magazine used to be.

7. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

inky and i have had this discussion before, but backpacker has replaced outside as my go-to mag for the kinds of stories outside used to do. too often in the past few years -- or at least when i was still flipping through it regularly -- outside ventured into men's health territory with six-pack abs workouts, too much gear review and celebrity-type profiles.

though i just looked at the contents of the most recent basw and a story from backpacker and outside are in it. both stories are good, by the way, the backpacker one a chilling story of a woman confronting her step-dad about sexual abuse from her childhood.

8. Moderator1

Hmmm. Not the type of thing you'd expect to find in a magazine called Backpacker.

9. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

should have added that some of the abuse happened on camping trips during her youth, and and as an adult, she confronted him about it on a hiking/camping trip.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Matt Taibbi's continuing series in Rolling Stone on the bailouts was the best reporting last year (and into this year).

11. Really? I don't feel like I can trust a word that comes from his pen. Plus, it's a little distracting to try to read a supposedly factual piece about Goldman Sachs or AGI that calls people "cock suckers" and "douche bags."

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It plays better as commentary than "reporting." Taibbi is good at understanding the incestuous daisy chain the government, Wall Street and the big banks are engaged in, and good at applying the proper amount of rage, but I don't know that I'd call it reporting.

Draft saved Draft deleted