1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Magazine Award Finalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Gotta love Nick Denton's consistent trolling of Chris.

http://deadspin.com/esquire-writer-is-sad-he-wont-win-a-national-magazine-468182546

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Please. The guy - for the second time - is whining on Twitter about not being nominated for a National Magazine Award. At the time the stories were written, he bragged about "scorching the earth" for Heath. (Which I stood up for, by the way, on here.)

Boo hoo.

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Whining?

4. Dick Whitman

"Trolling"?

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Yes, trolling. Nothing Chris said was worth a fucking post on Deadspin. They did it to elicit a specific reaction.

Your turn. Whining?

6. Dick Whitman

Yes. Whining. When you take to Twitter to tell people that the selection of a story over yours for a magazine award was "political," that's whining. That's textbook whining.

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I'm confused about why it's okay to say you're happy and proud to get nominated but not okay to say you'd be disappointed to not get one.

And come on, Dick, yes, it is trolling by Deadspin -- which is fine. It's all wrapped up in the Scocca Slate/celebrity profile piece/Jones' response to that/Scocca's response to that, Scocca being friends with Craggs so Craggs lashing out on Twitter at Jones and Jones responding and Scocca then going to Deadspin and now Gawker (he had his own passive-aggressive post two days ago), the bad in bed piece/Gawker talking about Jones' wife, Jones talking about John Cook's fuck-up of the Schwarzenegger story and on and on and on. So this is simply another aspect of that and, yeah, it's trolling. Let's not pretend it's some great takedown by Deadspin. Yes, I'm sure Jones using the word politics in a tweet was the only reason Gawker put their piece up or Deadspin this one. Or does Deadspin/Gawker do these stories on all writers who express disappointment?

*Insert line about Esquire's Northern Illinois massacre story*

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

So you choose to focus on that part instead of "It's all good ... Just glad you enjoyed the story."

And you didn't respond to the first part of my post. In what way was anything Chris said worthy of this reaction? People wrote to him saying they thought his story was better and deserved recognition. Chris tends to respond to direct tweets. He responded with his opinion; graciously, I might add. I don't think it was whining at all. It's not like he went Full Whitlock. Or even One Quarter Whitlock.

9. Dick Whitman

Jones and Deadspin pick at each other. That's what they do. Just a personality clash.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I must have missed Jones' shot at Deadspin in the last year or so ...

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I missed Scocca's nonsense Small Town Guy mentioned. I try to avoid Gawker these days.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Cue up the king.

Folks thanks for your support. It's been a tough couple of days
    and your notes are much appreciated.

Draft saved Draft deleted