1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Magazine Award Finalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

http://www.magazine.org/about-asme/pressroom/asme-press-releases/asme/national-magazine-awards-2013-finalists-announced

Public Interest
    The Atlantic for "The Writing Revolution," by Peg Tyre; October
    Consumer Reports for "Arsenic in Your Juice," January, and "Arsenic in Your Food," November, by Andrea Rock
    The New Yorker for "The Throwaways," by Sarah Stillman; September 3
    Rolling Stone for "School of Hate," by Sabrina Rubin Erdely; February 16
    Texas Monthly for "Mothers, Daughters, Sisters, Wives," by Mimi Swartz; August

Reporting
    Chicago for "Lawbreakers, Lawmakers," by David Bernstein and Noah Isackson; January
    GQ for "18 Tigers, 17 Lions, 8 Bears, 3 Cougars, 2 Wolves, 1 Baboon, 1 Macaque and 1 Man Dead in Ohio," by Chris Heath; March
    Harper's Magazine for "All Politics Is Local: Election Night in Peru's Largest Prison," by Daniel Alarcón; February
    The New York Times Magazine for "Did You Think About the Six People You Executed?" by Robert F. Worth; May 13
    The New Yorker for "The Implosion," February 27, and "The War Within," August 27, by Jon Lee Anderson
    Texas Monthly for "Hannah and Andrew," by Pamela Colloff; January
    The Texas Observer for "Valley of Death," by Melissa del Bosque; March

Feature Writing Incorporating Profile Writing
    Byliner for "The Living and the Dead," by Brian Mockenhaupt; October
    GQ for "The Blind Faith of the One-Eyed Matador," by Karen Russell; October
    GQ for "Burning Man," by Jay Kirk; February
    Mother Jones for "Shelf Lives," by Mac McClelland; March/April
    The New Yorker for "Atonement," by Dexter Filkins; October 29 & November 5
    Texas Monthly for "The Innocent Man: Part I," November, and "The Innocent Man: Part II," December, by Pamela Colloff
    Wired for "Inside the Mansion--and the Mind--of Kim Dotcom, the Most Wanted Man on the Internet," by Charles Graeber; November

Essays and Criticism
    The Atlantic for "Fear of a Black President," by Ta-Nehisi Coates; September
    Foreign Policy for "Why Do They Hate Us?" by Mona Eltahawy; May/June
    New York for "A Life Worth Ending," by Michael Wolff; May 28
    The New Yorker for "Over the Wall," by Roger Angell; November 19
    Orion for "State of the Species," by Charles C. Mann; November/December

Columns and Commentary
    Elle for three columns by Daphne Merkin: "Portrait of a Lady," March; "Social Animal," May; and "We're All Helmut Newton Now," October
    The Nation for three columns by Katha Pollitt: "Protect Pregnant Women: Free Bei Bei Shuai," March 26; "Ann Romney, Working Woman?" May 7; and "Blasphemy Is Good for You," October 15
    New York for three columns by Frank Rich: "Who in God's Name Is Mitt Romney?" February 6; "Mayberry R.I.P.," July 30; and "Nora's Secret," August 27-September 3
    The New York Times Magazine for three columns by Adam Davidson: "It Ain't Just Pickles," February 19; "The $200,000-Nanny Club," March 25; and "Caymans, Here We Come," July 29
    Slate for three columns by Dahlia Lithwick: "It's Not About the Law, Stupid," March 22; "The Supreme Court's Dark Vision of Freedom," March 27; and "Where Is the Liberal Outrage?" July 6

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Two things jump out, and they are omissions:

* The face transplant New Yorker piece is absent.
    * Much was made at the time of the dueling GQ and Esquire pieces on the Ohio animal ordeal. I'd be interested to go back and read them both again now and compare, since the Chris Heath piece was recognized and the Chris Jones piece was not.

3. SixToe

SixToe Active Member

I wish I had time to read.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The GQ story was much more directed and built for contests. The Esquire story was a straightforward narration, a much less ambitious story.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't think the scope of story necessarily comments on the ambition behind it.

The Heath version, quite simply, was inferior. Inferior prose. Inferior focus.

Wild animals got loose. They killed their owner. They were fixing to wreak a lot more havoc until a bunch of cops shot the hell out of them. I'm not sure the story needed a big, long probe into why the hell people choose to own tigers. They own them because they're half-nuts, is why. A bunch of cops in the rain in Ohio watching a dying tiger heave its final breaths because they shot it up. The Jones version delivers, let's face it, precisely what we'd want. Maybe it's not what the idea of ourselves would want out of that story, but it's what we want. It's Jaws in Ohio.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree completely. But the people voting on these awards love digging, even if that digging is inch-deep.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Love Mac McClelland's work at MoJo. That story on Amazon (et al) warehouses was eye-opening and powerful:

http://t.co/pJya8TVoIO

8. I have no ties to and have never been to Texas, muchless west of the Mississippi, but I am strongly considering a subscription to Texas Monthly.
    They do outstanding work.

I spent 45 minutes last night reading "The Innocent Man." I've read a few other stories from them as well.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm cutting down my magazines by a ton. Take up space, I can get many free online. I will not cut Texas Monthly. Besides the articles, I like looking at the ranch ads and dreaming of what I can buy when I hit the lottery.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So then, you're looking into a dude ranch?

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Subscribed to TM last year at the recommendation of several on here. I don't regret it for a bit; I just have to do better at finding time to just lie down and read it all.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAAH.

Draft saved Draft deleted