1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National League MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 5, 2007.

?

Same as the AL: who should get it?

1. Chase Utley, 2B (PHI)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. Jimmy Rollins, SS (PHI)

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. David Wright, 3B (NYM)

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Jose Reyes, SS (NYM)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Prince Fielder, 1B (MIL)

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  6. Jake Peavy, SP (SD)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Eric Byrnes, OF (ARI)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. spnited

spnited Active Member

David Wright in the NL MVP....

2. casty33

casty33 Active Member

As of now, I would vote for Wright, subject to change, of course, pending the next few weeks.

And may I add one note, as a former voter and longtime member of the BBWAA. There is no steadfast rule that your team HAS to be in the playoffs to be a legitimate candidate. Obviously, it helps. But when I was a voter, the rule of thumb was for the team to at least be a contender. Thus, in my mind, the Phillies candidates are still MVP eligible even if the team doesn't make it. It would be unlikely for either of them to win if the Phils don't make it, but it is possible. The better example would be ARod. If the Yankees should fail to make it, that wouldn't take him out of the discussion because the team did at least contend.

Enough preaching from me.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I think most everyone would agree with that, Casty. The one thing I would say, though, is that if your team doesn't make it to the playoffs you'd have to be head-and-shoulders above all other candidates, like Andre Dawson the year he won, to get my vote. For instance, if the Mets win the division and the Phillies don't get the wildcard, I can't imagine voting for Utley or Rollins ahead of Wright.

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

David Wright does not deserve the NL MVP period, clearly the New York media bias is swinging this poll. David Wright has the greatest hype machine outside of Jeter that I have ever seen. Both Jeter and Wright are all star players and media darlings who are very overrated and not deserving of the hype they receive.

5. casty33

casty33 Active Member

indiansnetwork, do you even know the roles of voting for MVP? If you did, I don't think you could logically say the NY media bias will swing the vote to Wright or Reyes. Two traveling writers from each NL city will have votes. So your media bias, if it exists, will swing two votes. How will the NY media blitz affect the vote of the two writers from San Diego or Phoenix or Milwaukee or Pittsburgh? Your contention makes no sense. And if there is a NY media blitz, then why have the Mets never had an MVP in their existence?

Somebody explain this to me.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Well, Indians is an idiot. That's really all you need to know.

7. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

No problem.

I wasn't saying the NL MVP vote would be won by Wright only that the vote in this forum was being swung for Wright because of the New York media Bias.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Well, this New Yorker voted for Reyes. After that, I would have voted for Fielder and Rollins and Brandon Webb before voting for Wright. There is no NY media bias here.

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

How could you possibly know that? You don't even know how many New Yorkers even voted on here.

Bizarre. Just bizarre.

10. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Since concepts like RBIs and Runs are so old and busted, and clearly VORP and WARP3 are new-hotness:
    Wright leads the league in WARP3 (wins above a replacement player over 162 games) at 11.9 and his VORP (a measure of runs created) is second in the NL to only one Hanley Ramirez.

For my money, WARP3 and VORP are the easiest ways to compare position players to one another, and Wright easily leads the pack of contenders here.
    (Rollins has a WARP3 of 11.2 but isn't that close in VORP. Reyes has the lowest VORP of the serious contenders (Utley, Rollins, Reyes, Fielder, Wright), though his 10.2 WARP3 is still impressive. Fielder's WARP3 checks in at 7-something. Good, but not quite Wright-tacular.)
    (Since we mentioned Hanley, his VORP of 78.7 is second only to A-Rod. His WARP3 is 9-something)
    I'm just throwing this out there. If you dislike the nerdy stats, that's fine, too.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Well, as long as you approve.

12. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I threw that in there to avoid any new-stat-bashing threadjacks. I've learned they're not for everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted