1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National League MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 5, 2007.

?

Same as the AL: who should get it?

1. Chase Utley, 2B (PHI)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. Jimmy Rollins, SS (PHI)

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. David Wright, 3B (NYM)

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Jose Reyes, SS (NYM)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Prince Fielder, 1B (MIL)

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  6. Jake Peavy, SP (SD)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Eric Byrnes, OF (ARI)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how else to make it clear to you. And it isn't just the second half. It is from May 25 on that Prince Fielder has not even been the most productive player on his own team. There is a difference. You disagree with me. That's fine, of course. But really, the concept isn't that complicated.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

If the Brewers don't make the playoffs, it's all moot anyway.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

OK, maybe you don't understand the question I'm asking. Fair enough. Let me put it another way:

Since he's been in the majors, Braun has outperformed every single one of the MVP candidates. Why would his great individual performance, one for which he'll certainly be awarded NL ROY, be held against Fielder but not against David Wright, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins, etc.?

4. outofplace

I understand your points just fine and I am finding it a bit insulting that you keep insisting otherwise just because I don't agree with you.

I believe that Fielder has not even been the best player ON HIS OWN TEAM since May 25, a period of time that makes up more than half of the season. To me, that is an argument against him winning the MVP award. There is no other way to explain it. You just don't agree.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I hesitate to wade in here, but I'm going to try it:

Forget the since May 25th stuff. Who is the Brewers' MVP ? OOP, you keep saying Braun's been more productive since May 25th, but you haven't gone so far as to say he's the team's MVP. Is he or isn't he, in your opinion? If he is, then you're saying Fielder can't be MVP of the league when he isn't even MVP of his own team, which makes sense. If you're not prepared to say that Braun, not Fielder, is the Brewers' MVP, then there's no reason Fielder can't be the league MVP regardless of what Braun's done since May 25th.

6. outofplace

That is your opinion. My opinion is that Fielder hasn't been the best player on his own team since May 25 and that diminishes his candidacy in my mind. I have never disputed that Fielder will be his team's MVP. I just don't think he should be the league MVP.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I wasn't expressing an opinion. I was asking you a question, and you answered it. You're saying that even though Braun has been better since May 25th, Fielder is still the Brewers' MVP when the season is taken as a whole. The MVP award is based on the season as a whole, not on who's been better since May 25th.

8. outofplace

If you haven't been even the best player on your own team for a majority of the season, I feel that it hurts your league MVP candidacy. You are free to disagree.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Believe me Broadway Joe, you're wasting your time if you're waiting for logic on this one.

10. outofplace

11. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Ryan Braun batting at the 3 spot ahead of Prince: .346 .663slg 24 HR 65 RBI

Ryan Braun batting at the 4 spot behind Prince: .227 .500 3 and 8

If you don't know that Prince is the Brewers best player and unquestioned leader/MVP you are not paying attention.

12. outofplace

Oh, and how big was the latter sample size.... a week? Maybe two?

Is Prince Fielder going to be the Brewers' team MVP? Absolutely. Should he be the NL MVP? I say no.

Draft saved Draft deleted