1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National League MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 5, 2007.

?

Same as the AL: who should get it?

1. Chase Utley, 2B (PHI)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. Jimmy Rollins, SS (PHI)

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. David Wright, 3B (NYM)

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Jose Reyes, SS (NYM)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Prince Fielder, 1B (MIL)

10 vote(s)
    37.0%
  6. Jake Peavy, SP (SD)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Eric Byrnes, OF (ARI)

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Mr. Wright, whom I picked to win the award in spring training.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

So would A-Rod.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True, but there are too many good candidates on contenders in the NL this year.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Does that mean Freddy Sanchez won't win the MVP?

5. My vote is obvious.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Yes. On that team, Sanchez better hit .416 with 60 homers and 180 RBIs. Even then, it might be a stretch.

7. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I chose Peavy, as he has been the most consistent player in the league from day 1. Wright has had torrid streaks and weeks that he's done absolutely nothing (playing in four fantasy leagues and not owning him in any of them, I've been against him for many, many weeks).

He's also been the leader of the best pitching staff in the league and has been aces in the past 3 weeks when his team has needed him most.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

So how long until someone starts a Cy Young thread?

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Brewers get in the playoffs, it's Prince. Otherwise it's Wright. Utley and Reyes are great young players who have had terrific seasons, though. And Peavy is about as competitive as they come.

10. outofplace

Prince isn't even the Brewers' best player right now. Ryan Braun is. Fielder had a great start to the season, but Braun is the one keeping the Brewers in the race.

Peavy's slim chance at winning the MVP ended last night, though I think the blame there should go to Bud Black for the foolish decision to use Peavy on short rest. Peavy is the kind of competitor who will take the ball no matter what, but he's got enough history of minor aches and pains in his throwing arm that it just wasn't worth the risk.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Please. Prince leads the NL in home runs and he's fourth in RBIs, plus he's the team's leader. The Brewers wouldn't be in the race if not for his performance this season.

12. outofplace

Well, there is that month-plus head start Fielder had while Braun was in the minors.

Braun's batting average is 50 points higher (.334-.284). Fielder has a slightly better OBP, but Braun has the better slugging percentage. Braun also brings speed with 14 steals and five triples. Fielder's counting numbers are better in the other categories, but he has 134 more at-bats than Braun. I stand by my statement. Since his call-up, Braun has been the better player.

Draft saved Draft deleted