1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National League MVP -- Final Answer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 29, 2007.

?

This is going to be a tough one: who's the MVP in this league?

1. Matt Holliday, OF (COL)

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Jimmy Rollins, SS (PHI)

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Both?????

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

1. Holliday
    2. Rollins
    3. Wright
    4. Fielder
    5. A. Ramirez
    6. Byrnes
    7. Chutley
    8. H. Ramirez
    9. Peavy
    10. Garrett Atkins

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Just FYI, here are some players with 50 HR seasons and did not crack the Top 3 in MVP voting:

• 2002 - Jim Thome, 7th (52 HR)
    • 2001 - Alex Rodriguez, 6th (52)
    • 2000 - Sammy Sosa, 9th (50)
    • 1999 - Mark McGwire, 5th (65) & Sammy Sosa, 9th (63)
    • 1998 - Greg Vaughn, 4th (50)* & Ken Griffey, Jr., 4th (56)
    • 1996 - Mark McGwire, 7th (52) & Brady Anderson, no votes (50)**

* - San Diego Padres, NL champions; ** - Baltimore Orioles, 2nd AL East (4 games behind Yankees)

Obviously, you can make other arguments as to why each of these players weren't voted higher, let alone win the whole thing. My whole point that I try not to let home runs, or any one stat for that matter, dictate how I would vote. Yes, I am aware that you're taking into account Fielder's leadership skills (which are very good, especially considering his age) and the lack of consistent support around him. For, though, some of Fielder's stats could be better, he doesn't play as vital a position and he doesn't play it very well (right now). Hammer me with the East Coast Bias-charges all you want, but Fielder was not the MVP this season.

Rollins has put up mind-numbing numbers this year, plays one of the most important positions in the game, was the only constant in that Phillies lineup with the travails of Utley, Howard & Burrell, and he made that (in)famous quote about the Phils being the team to be in the NL East. Now he looks like Nostradamus with some wheels.

Wright's numbers are the best of all across the board, is a 30-30 player (youngest ever?), improved defensive play at 3B, the ONLY Met who hasn't shit the bed in September (.340/6/19), and is either the leader now or will be shortly of the Mets. How else can you explain him getting the team to get buzz-cuts earlier this season?

3. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

1) Rollins
    1a) Wright
    3) Fielder
    4) Holliday
    5) Soriano

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm not sure Wright leading the Mets' buzz-cut brigade in April in May means anything in September.

5. Dangerous_K

Did Chris Young (DBacks) get to 30 steals? I know he was close this season.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'm not saying Hanley is the MVP. That's absurd. He is not Alex Rodriguez with the Texas Rangers or Dawson with the Cubs. What I'm saying is that Hanley trumps Tulowitzki for the Silver Slugger award, easily.

In terms of the MVP voting, I wouldn't be surprised if Ramirez gets a point or two. But there's no way in hell he sniffs the top seven.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

He's got 26, but his .236 average makes up for those four bags.

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I think Hanley probably wins the Silver Slugger. And I believe Tulowitzki is the N.L. ROY.

9. Dangerous_K

Tulowitzki could very well win the Gold Glove, too. His fielding percentage is better than Rollins', Reyes' or Khalil Greene (very underrated defensive player). 11 errors as a rookie? Unreal.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Brandon Phillips is only the second 2nd baseman ever with 30 homers and 30 steals in a season.

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Who's the first? Soriano?

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted