1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National League MVP -- Final Answer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 29, 2007.

?

This is going to be a tough one: who's the MVP in this league?

1. Matt Holliday, OF (COL)

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Jimmy Rollins, SS (PHI)

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Both?????

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Aramis. My fault.

2. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Hawpe has been good but his awful lefty/righty splits come along with that.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You beat me to it. Yost really hurt the Brewers with his handling of Hart this year. Yes, he had some rough stretches, but nowhere near as bad as Bill Hall. Yost's decision to start platooning Hart with Gross while using Hall every day in late August was ridiculous.

My vote goes to Rollins now. Howard was terrible early. Chase Utley missed a month. Burrell has been Burrell, alternately great and awful. Rollins has been the constant for the Phillies all season.

4. 1. Rollins (The engine that drove the Phillies the last two months)
    2. Holliday (The most underrated player in baseball)
    3. Soriano (Cubs aren't in without him over the last month)
    4. Fielder (50 HRs are 50 HRs, even if a good deal are solo shots)
    5. Wright (Good Lord, the Mets need some positive karma)

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Rollins
    Holliday
    Fielder

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I don't know that Holliday's the guy, but he hit 11 home runs in 12 games with his team to basically force his team back into playoff contention. If nothing else, it pushes him ahead of Tulowitzki. Honestly, I know people want to say that where a team finishes shouldn't matter, but in a race this tight, it should. If the Phils make it, Rollins should win. If the Rockies make it, Holliday should win. If they both make it...cage match?

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Holliday missed two of those wins in the 11-game streak at San Diego because of injury. With him, the Rockies won, without him there's still Atkins and Hawpe with more than 100 RBI, Tulowitzki in the high 90s and Helton with an RBI total in the high 80s to help the Rockies win.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Happy now? [/shakinghead]

9. Did you switch some of Rollins and Reyes stats? I thought Rollins had the most at bats...

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Set a record, in fact. Everything else is right, though.

Still, where is Hanley Ramirez in that comparison:

628 AB, 123 runs, .333 avg, 209 hits, 46 doubles, 29 home runs, 81 RBIs, 51 stolen bases, .387 OBP, .564 SLG.

Rollins could win the MVP, but Ramirez might be the Silver Slugger winner.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I don't think you can mention Hanley Ramirez in a National League MVP discussion. Yes, he's had a great year and looks like he'll be a very good shortstop for a long time.

But the Marlins were terrible this season with him. They would have been terrible without him. If you're the Most Valuable Player, I believe you make your team better.

That's why I went with Holliday, Rollins and Aramis Ramirez. If those guys aren't on their teams, they're not in playoff contention.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Holliday would be my favorite, based on the numbers, but Rollins got him team to a (possible) division title from the depths of disparity.

Fielder has the numbers, too, but I've never been a fan of the big home run hitter winning based on HR, and I like Holliday's numbers better.

1. Rollins
    2. Holliday
    3. Fielder

Draft saved Draft deleted