1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National League MVP -- Final Answer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Sep 29, 2007.

?

This is going to be a tough one: who's the MVP in this league?

1. Matt Holliday, OF (COL)

16 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Jimmy Rollins, SS (PHI)

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. Both?????

3 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I don't know Fielder makes it look pretty hard.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I'd like to know the last season a player with 50-plus home runs was not in the MVP conversation. Even with his team eliminated, Fielder will finish in the top four -- easily. I won't surprised if he wins, though I think it'll be Wright, Rollins or Holliday.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Hate to quibble with you, Moderbutt, but have you seen the Brewers' lineup? Bill Hall, Ryan Braun and Corey Hart aren't pushovers. And being an absolute train wreck at first doesn't help Fielder's case. I agree he belongs among the finalists, but I don't think he's the MVP.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I mentioned Braun, but don't think as highly of Hall and Hart as you might.

And my point is more that Fielder is at least among the finalists, but that he was my pick. At the same time, I'll recognize that there are arguments for others. I'm mostly miffed at the idea since the Brewers were eliminated this weekend that it means Fielder doesnt' belong. If he doesn't win it's not a crime. If he's not near the top of the list, well, it is.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I completely agree. He should be a finalist.

6. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Hall is inconsistent and sure he can hit home runs but he isn't a premier player. Corey Hart has disappeared at times and at times has been replaced in the starting lineup for career backups. Ryan Braun is a good player and clearly is the best of the players you listed. The other major hitting candidates have help with Wright having Reyes and Rollins having Howard and Utley. Fielder has basically been the guy for the Brew Crew all season long something that an MVP does.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

WTF are you talking about?

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If I had a MVP vote, my ballot would look like:

1: Holliday
    2: Rollins
    3: Ramirez
    4: Byrnes
    5: Fielder

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Hanley or Aramis?

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You can attribute Hart being out of the Brewers' lineup mid-season to the stupidity of Ned Yost. It's about No. 14 on this week's American Top 40 countdown of Yost dumbassery.

Keep your feet on the ground, and keep reaching for the gas.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would take that as Hanley.

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Holliday has been awesome, but Brad Hawpe IMO should be mentioned at least as much as Tulowitzki for Rockies' MVP.

Draft saved Draft deleted