1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Lacrosse League seeks Associate Editor for NLL.com

Discussion in 'Freelance/stringer help wanted' started by NLL2012, Oct 12, 2011.

1. NLL2012

NLL2012 New Member

(This ad is now closed. Thanks to the many who sent resumes in, we will be in contact soon).

The National Lacrosse League (NLL), the top level of professional
    lacrosse, seeks an Associate Editor for the league’s official website,
    NLL.com and NLL Network related websites.

This is a six-month position, contract term commencing on December 1,
    2011 and concluding on May 31, 2012. Compensation is $1,000.00 (US)
    per month. The Associate Editor can work remotely. The Associate
    Editor will be required to work each and every game night during the
    NLL season from January 8th through the Championship game, through the
    completion of all games each evening.

The Associate Editor will primarily report to the Vice President of
    Communications.

Candidates should have previous sports writing and editing experience

is required (does not have to be necessarily be lacrosse specific).
    Candidates should also be skilled at utilizing social media (facebook,
    twitter, etc.).

Major Responsibilities

1. Assist in managing assignments of team beat writers
    2. Cultivate new story ideas
    3. Assist in editing stories
    4. Managing images and loading for NLL.com and NLL Network websites.
    5. Contribute original content on a weekly basis.
    6. Other duties that may be assigned by the NLL front office.

To Apply:

Please send resume and cover letter via email to jobs@nll.com. No
    phone calls please.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Looks like a nice little part-time job. Too bad it's gonna require full-time hours.

3. Igor in CT

Igor in CT Member

... here's hoping. Hours notwithstanding, I'd take it in a second.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

$1K a month? Seriously? This shouldn't even be on the jobs board.

5. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

I ran the math on it. Looking at the schedule, NLL seems to play three times a week - Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The games start at 7 and most seem to wrap by 1 a.m. So let's assume your work day is 6:30 to 1:30 - 7 hours.

You do that three times a week and four times per month, you are going to work 84 hours in a month. That's 11.90 per hour. Annualized that's $24,761.

Sure it's not going to make you rich but there are plenty of other jobs on this board that have a starting salary of less than $24,761.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You forgot to include the duties that occur on non-game days. You have to keep the website fresh.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The ad plainly says $1,000 a month for six months. That's $6,000. Not quibbling with the hourly rate, but you really can't annualize that salary, and even if you could, it'd be $12,000.

8. McNuggetsMan

McNuggetsMan Active Member

Stitch --
    You're right I did not include that so depending on the number of hours on non-game days, the hourly rate probably does get a lot worse.

Novelist--

If you treat this job as your only job, then yeah, in six months you are going to get only 6k and that would be $12k annually.

But that is not what I was calculating. Understanding that Stitch pointed out a flaw in my hourly calculations, what I was trying to show was that the hourly rate of pay matched fairly to the hourly rate of pay for low-level journalism jobs. If you take this job (assuming my time requirements are correct, which they may not be), it would be comparable to pay at entry/small media jobs. If you try to live on only this income, you would be in trouble.

But if you have journalism skills and you are trying to use them, this rate of pay is not terrible for those skills.

Now of course you could then throw in that those $24k a year jobs also typically come with benefits (add 30% to pay to get understanding of real employer expense) and this job is much less desirable.

However I don't think it sinks to "shouldn't even be on the jobs board" level that BYH stated.

To put it another way, I pay my babysitter $80 per month to watch my baby. That seems like it really sucks and it is a terrible job.

However, when I tell you that I pay her $80 a month and the only requirement is that she watches my kid one night per month for five hours, then you see that she gets $16 an hour and makes a nice supplement to her income. The total compensation from me is not great, but I am fairly compensating her for the time she does work for me.

I think the same thing is happening here. $1k a month sucks but $11.90 per hour is far from the worst job on this board and likely is better hourly pay than some of the full-time gigs on here.

Draft saved Draft deleted