1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Guard headed to NOLA

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Driver 8, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Driver 8

Driver 8 Member

I hadn't seen anything posted on this, and I know JD has much more important things on his mind:

In an extraordinary move usually reserved for the immediate crisis after natural disasters, a detachment of at least 100 Louisiana National Guard soldiers and 60 state troopers will be deployed to New Orleans today in an effort to quell the steadily rising tide of bloodshed in the city, a wave of violence that culminated Saturday with the shocking murder of five youths in Central City.

The deployment comes just months after the Guard pulled out its last post-Hurricane Katrina units out of the city and follows requests from law enforcement officials, Mayor Ray Nagin and the City Council, who are growing alarmed as statistics indicate the murder rate in recent weeks has shot above the city’s pre-storm pace.

Nagin and the council said Monday they are also likely to re-establish soon a juvenile curfew——a measure that was credited with helping to curb the city’s top-in-the-nation murder rate in the mid-1990s.

More:

The killings have accelerated since the beginning of April, with 36 of this year’s 53 murders taking place in the last 12 weeks, police figures show. Even is the current population is 220,000 residents, a generous figure according to most experts, the 12-week total represents 16 murders per 100,000 residents, more than the 15.1 killings per 100,000 residents in the same period last year.

http://www.nola.com/

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Look, everything is just fine in New Orleans. Bush told us so. And the NFL agrees, because the Saints are going back. So nothing bad happened in the Superdome, because it's ready for the NFL in September.

Everything is just fine. A little water, is all. Everyone's happy.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Fed funds? . . . no more than we have to . . . the money has to go to Halli . . . er . . . the War.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

They wanted Nagin to mayor of Chocolate City, they got it.Now deal with it and leave the rest of the country the fuck alone.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Two t-shirts I saw in several different shops as I strolled down Bourbon Street last night

FEMA Evacuation Plan:
    RUN MOTHERFUCKER RUN

and

NOPD
    Not Our Problem, Dude

Draft saved Draft deleted