1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National Finals Rodeo

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jeremy Goodwin, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Rodeo is overlooked a bit here. It's popular, but the sport around here just doesn't seek coverage for some reason, so we don't give it. Arenas, promoters, cowboys, etc. just don't call us with their results, even after we ask for them. We used to run a lot of AP rodeo agate back when we had room for it.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I'm actually coming back towards rodeo after a couple of years away because of weaselly former commissioner Troy Ellerman, who is the attorney imprisoned because he leaked the BALCO grand jury stuff (and at the same time was complaining about all the leaks).

Right now I think the best events to watch are tie-down roping (tight race for the world championship), saddle bronc riding (another tight race currently led by Billy Etbauer, who's 45 :eek: and still amazing to watch) and barrel racing because, well, y'know ... pretty girls in tight jeans on horses ... what's not to like? :D

All-around race is all but over.

And for God's sake, can somebody at Winnercomm/ESPN please ditch Jennifer Smith? It's not like she's getting any better as she goes.

Don't get me started on that. They need to learn from the model Bill France Sr. set up.

3. KG

KG Active Member

I miss going to rodeos. I used to go when I was growing up. Some guys I went to school will rode bulls and a few were rodeo clowns. It was one of the big events in the county fair too.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

We have a rodeo show up once or twice a year and the arena is full, but local media short-shrifts it.

Looks like it would be fun to cover. Interesting storylines and good photo possibilities. Plus, of course, that chance for a chest-stomping bull burying a guy's lungs in the dirt.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If you don't want to wait until midnight for the TV broadcast . . .

http://nfr.ezstream.com/

Audio only, though.

6. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

At one point and time my home-town rodeo was in the top-10 of national rodeos.

I loved "Big Week." The California Rodeo has slipped a bit since then.

Anyhow, I remember attending the event every year of high school when the marketing phrase was, "Rocky Butts Bust my Nuts," referring to the back-pocket-less pants the girls wore back then. "The tighter the Rockies, the tighter my Jockeys," was a typical adolescent male response.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Oh, there are rodeos here. You just need to get away from the big city to find them.

8. WSKY

WSKY Member

Rodeo is sweet in person, not so much on TV.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

That guy tonight who did the steer wrestling in 3.9 seconds was AMAZING. I think that was the best competition of the night!

And yeah, Trevor Brazile had it all but locked up before Day 1. For some reason, I can't find how many times he's been all-around champion but I know it's been a bunch.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Doesn't match up with the National Grammar Rodeo in Canada, of course.

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

It's still good on TV. You can't beat being at one live though and hearing the sounds of the roughstock and possibly getting some dirt kicked on you.

Billy Etbauer getting bucked off tonight was kind of surprise, but his bronc stalled then came out of the chute with his front two feet up. Very tough start.

Bobby Welsh's choice to take his 53 in bull riding was interesting. If it was in an earlier round he might not, but this late in the rodeo you want to take any ride you can, especially because only 3 guys have stayed on 3 head and 1 has stayed on 4 head. Welsh is one of the 3 at 3 rides.

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

The dogger was Stockton Graves. I was a little disappointed Dean Gorsuch got a 12.1 after winning the last two go rounds.

Draft saved Draft deleted