1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National columns from local writers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ripthejacker, Feb 24, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I've been looking for a good candlestick maker. Can you make a recommendation?

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I'm with you, coffeeman, word for word.

3. I'm not going to argue against a "local" writer doing a "national" column, but I think the writer needs to proceed with enormous caution. In some ways, more homework needs to be done. I've read a lot of very poor and misinformed "national" columns by "local" writers. Too many of them are tossed off without much nuance -- a little like some of the opinions here, sadly.

I'd feel uncomfortable writing a column about a person I've never seen in person or talked to. Localized columns on national issues aren't that bad, because they tend to be written more authoritatively.

A former editor of mine insisted on quotes from at least two people in a column. It wasn't a hard and fast rule, but it's actually not a bad idea, because it made me do some reporting on the issue before I'd fire something off. It tempered the column, made it sound more reasonable.

Draft saved Draft deleted