1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National college writer, Orlando Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, Aug 6, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ditto Bob Harig back in the day at the St. Pete Times.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll be stunned if they fill this.

3. willwriteforfood

willwriteforfood New Member

inquired about this, sent in clips. feel I'm more than qualified but was told they were going in another direction. That was more than a month ago, so I'm not sure what direction that is.

4. Mizzougrad96

Word is that pay will be nowhere close to what it should be for a job like this, and that's limited candidates considerably. Supposedly they were trying to hire someone for possibly as much as $10K a year less than what Adelson was making. Of the two guys they've brought in, one almost certainly makes more than that and the other would probably only get a very slight raise.

They're also not paying for a move, which is another reason for a top person not to take the job. I talked to a friend who works there and he said he "would be stunned" if they filled it before next year, and as most of us know, the longer a job stays open, the less likely it will be filled, especially in this economy and especially at a cash-strapped Tribune Co. paper.

It's kind of sad and kind of pathetic.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Agreed. You can't lowball on pay AND refuse relocation to a great candidate. Nothing like taking a job and needing six months to get out of the hole from moving.

6. Mizzougrad96

Exactly. And as previous mentioned on this thread, having Jeff Shain cover both golf and college football makes a hell of a lot more sense than to bring in someone who doesn't have the resume to cover the national beat at a paper that typically has some of the best college coverage in the country.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Tribune Company hasn't had the best quarter from a PR standpoint either. If you were hesitant to work for the chain before ...

8. Mizzougrad96

I've heard the new setup of one person running both departments isn't working too well either...

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

If nothing else, seems like you'd be pretty damn busy running both departments.

Not to mention, the editing of both sections is a disaster.

Draft saved Draft deleted