1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National college writer, Orlando Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll bet Fowler got a $20K a year raise and went to a beat that is, just like his old gig, a pipeline job. The last two guys to have that job are at ESPN via The Denver Post and the Chicago Sun-Times.

It's a total no-brainer.

2. Mizzougrad96

Greg Aumann is interviewing on Monday.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Any relation to Greg Auman, the guy in St. Pete?

4. Mizzougrad96

I think so. :D

5. Moderator1

Probably brothers, like Ryan Zimmerman and Jordan Zimmermann of the Nats.

6. Mizzougrad96

I'm shaking my head a little bit on the guys they're brought in. I know Stephens has talked to a couple people who would be "Wow" hires, and Babb and Auman, while very good, are just not at that level.

7. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Auman is a courtesy interview. Period. The UF job at the Sentinel would be a step up for him. He didn't get a job covering UF for the university and now he's supposed to get a national job?

I think Babb would be a great hire.

8. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Babb would be a spectacular hire.

9. Mizzougrad96

As stunning as it may seem, Auman was not a courtesy interview, or if he was, the Sentinel staff has to be among the most courteous there is since Auman interviewed with several different editors all day long.

10. Moderator1

I don't know Greg except through online communications and I have no idea if he was a courtesy interview. But I'll note this:

*This is opening week of the season. Tim has a ton of stuff going on and is filling several vacancies. He doesn't have time to futz around with his time (or others) on courtesies. Courtesy interviews are bullshit and Tim is not a bullshitter.

*That said, the situation described in no way means it wasn't courtesy. They do that for all their candidates. They're not going to bring a guy in, have him chat with Tim for a few and then say "thanks." A courtesy interview doesn't mean they don't go through the whole process. And day-long interviews are part of the process.

But, again, these people are professionals. Tim isn't going to waste his time on courtesies.

11. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

This whole thread slipped off the tracks. If Tim Stephens feels like Greg is a viable candidate, that's all that matters, and obviously that was the case.
    Just because someone isn't right for one job, shouldn't impact their candidacy someplace or somewhere else.
    Some pretty unfair stuff stated in this thread. We're better than that, or should be.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

What Moddy said. If you're being brought in, you're not just going to sit with Tim for an hour then go to Chili's for lunch. This is no time to be screwing around.

Draft saved Draft deleted