1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National college writer, Orlando Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tim Stephens, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

The Orlando Sentinel seeks an experienced reporter with a distinctive voice and strong level of topic expertise to cover college sports. The reporter will be expected to produce ambitious, engaging, creative and enterprising stories online and in print, and will:

-- Write a weekly college sports column and other general interest columns as assigned.
    -- Maintain and regularly update our popular College Gridiron 365 blog.
    -- Shoot and/or appear on videos, chats and other digital initiatives.
    -- Report breaking news of state, regional and national interest.
    -- Lead college enterprise efforts with an emphasis on stories and projects of state, regional and national impact.
    -- Assist in coverage of the Gators, Seminoles and Knights.
    -- Promote the Sentinel's college coverage through broadcast appearances as requested.
    -- Use social media as a journalistic tool.

This job will require strong reporting and writing skills and an understanding of public records, courts and NCAA procedures and issues. Strong multimedia skills are expected.

Send resume, cover letter, writing samples and examples of your best digital work to:

Tim Stephens
    AME/Sports Topics Manager
    Orlando Sentinel
    633 N. Orange Ave.
    Orlando, FL 32801

Or e-mail to sentinelsportseditor@gmail.com.

No phone calls, please. It might not be possible to acknowledge all applications. Thanks for your understanding.

2. When a job like this is posted here without a single comment for three days, is the silence a sign of people getting resumes ready or defeat?

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There are some jobs that don't need any discussion. Stephens is gonna need a bigger mailbox.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The people with this level of job experience (voice, connections, clear specific expertise, etc) tend to already have this type of job, and they tend to just stay in whatever job they have.

They have security, they have status, they have name recognition, they have a good salary. They probably have been where they are for a while and like where they live, and they have a certain comfort level where they're at, which is probably at a similarly-sized paper, anyway.

So, why change, unless it's just for the sake of living somewhere else?

Unless someone in such a position just feels like making a change, or has family or former job ties in the area, or else, just knows that they eventually want to retire to Florida, why go?

I am/would be intensely interested in this position, paper and sports editor. I have applied for other jobs here. But, I don't think I'd qualify for this one, at least not as the ad seems to clearly state.

They are clearly looking for a very specific, very field-narrowing type of person to fill this job. Hence, less discussion.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Not much to talk about because there's a chance this may be filled internally.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

See what I mean?

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yes, Drip, one rejection means it is being filled internally. Gotcha.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Just don't be surprised if it is filled internally is all that I'm saying. Playthrough, you've got several things working here, including timing. Yes there are talented people out here who could do the job but the season is set to begin. There are talented people on staff who can do the job as well.
    See what I mean was a joke. OK?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Isn't the UF job open as well?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Fowler is leaving to take the Pioneer Press Vikings job.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They have four openings - and they think they'll be able to fill all four. This is the second.
    Of course it could be filled internally. ALL jobs could be filled internally. I assure you the scope of the search is inside the OS walls AND out.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Filling all four before the start of football season?

Draft saved Draft deleted