1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

National 8-man scoring record

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shotglass, Nov 16, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yes, I would have paid to have seen this.

http://www.nevadapreps.com/boys/football/stories/34530444.html

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

“In eight-man football it’s different than 11-man,” Higbee said. “A 32-point lead is gone in a heartbeat.”

I'm going to send this story to the coach of the small private school which is transitioning to the KHSAA to compete with the seven larger public schools in the area.

He wondered why we couldn't put his team (which played two 11-man games and six 8-man games) in the area stat leaders because, to use his words "Football is football. There's no difference in 8-man and 11-man."

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Usually a six-man or eight-man game ends on the mercy rule as soon as a team takes a 45-point lead. That's obviously not the rule in Nevada.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Pity the part-timers who may have had to type up that boxscore on deadline.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Damn, one kid had eight touchdowns with four of them in the first quarter.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I've covered six-man before and you have to write those like basketball gamers.

Eight-man, though, is closer to 11-man and uses the same rules (regulation field, etc., at least in Oklahoma) pretty much. So a game like this is just nuts.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Questions ...

1. Was this game played at night or in the afternoon?
    1a. If it was a night game, did it make deadline?

2. Regardless of when it was played, how long did the game last?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

If there aren't 11-men on each side, it's not a real football game. It's nothing more than a pick-up game.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Field size can vary. I know Oregon uses an 11-man size field, but Nebraska sizes it down.

-------------

Spnited's response? -1 obvious.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I love watching and covering eight-man football.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Right. As we know, if things don't fit your worldview, they can't possibly be allowed to continue to exist.

Ever occurred to you that some towns and counties don't have enough kids for an 11-man team, but still have a few who might like to play? Nah, probably not.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

If that bothered you, I'm flummoxed as to how you've lasted 3,091 posts.

Draft saved Draft deleted