1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

. . . . . Nation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by In Exile, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, because Red Sox fans are always deep into R&B.

I think "Raider Nation" was the original.

Stupid then, and stupid now.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I think the original is What In Tar Nation.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

How about we stop with the blanket bans? I mean, yeah it can be vastly overused. Vastly. But, like almost anything, I think it's OK in moderation. Or moder-Nation. Whatever.

If we listened to you guys, every single word in the English language would be banned. Let's outlaw use of the word "the!"

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

You used nation in your last story, didn't you?

5. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You caught me. :)

No, I didn't. I can't say I ever have, that I recall. But, like most every word on here that seems to make certain folks break out in hives, I don't have a problem with it when used sparingly and in the right circumstance.

6. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Good for you for having a sense of humor about my post. I was afraid you might take it the wrong way.

Methinks you're right. ;)

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think the first popular appearance was the mention of "Cherokee Nation" in the song "Indian Reservation" by Paul Revere and the Raiders.

8. dooley_womack1

And 21 is wondering why she all of a sudden punched a wall.

9. Trucha

Trucha Member

Every writer I've ever known who used ".... Nation" was a homer/apologist. That was always enough to steer me away, even if I were ever inclined to use the silly term.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Not sure why you'd say that. It's just another way of saying "Team A fandom en masse."

The sentence, "Charlie Weis woke up Sunday morning still the Notre Dame football coach, much to the consternation of Irish Nation" is a fine sentence, in my book. It isn't homerish. It isn't lazy.

I would avoid referring to to such-and-such Nation in every story. But once a year ( or every other year) is nothing to get our panties in a wad about.

11. dooley_womack1

I don't think Lugnuts is getting her panties in a wad. And I don't wanna know if anyone else on this thread is wearing panties, judging by the male predomination.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yet, if Luggy's panties are in a wad...

Draft saved Draft deleted