1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nation of Islam shout-out to sj.com

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

pern, where'd you see Common? How was the show?

I saw him in Albuquerque, with Gang Starr and Talib Kweli. So-so show all the way around.

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Not only is suggesting that Scoop is writing on a higher plane ridiculous, offering him kudos for doing so is misguided.

As writers, we should be writing for our audience, not above it. I'm sure all of us could throw in a ton of $50 words that 90 percent of our readers wouldn't understand... if we did, I don't think we'd be lauded for it...

3. Songbird

I'm going to suggest that Scoop wrote that letter to himself under a fake name. No one is writing that kind of letter, saying he's writing for a higher plane. No one.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Saw him in Providence around 2003 after Electric Circus came out, also with Gang Starr and Talib Kweli. Also a so-so show. Talib Kweli was the best part of the show, but he was the opening act and only performed maybe six songs.

I was actually quite disappointed with Common himself. I love his music, but it seemed like he talked an awful lot without performing his songs. Hard to remember, though. It wasn't a particularly memorable show.

I also find it interesting that Scoop made his Common reference when Common has a new album coming out and I've seen him appear on SportsCenter a number of times over the past couple weeks (presumably to promote it). I hope it was simply a case of Scoop having picked up the new CD and deciding to drop a reference rather than something that came from the business department.

EDIT: After a bit of research, I see that I saw the second show of that tour and you very likely saw the second to last one. Hopefully, it wasn't that lackluster at all the shows in between.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

well, i guess it's official. scoop is king.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

I still don't know who Common is or about this hip-hop thing ...

7. Flash

Flash Guest

On further review, I don't care. I believe we've discussed on the Journalism board before about using pop culture references that alienate the readership.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Maybe we can meet him during Scoop's coronation....

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

At which time he will be known as Com.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And his fan site will be com.com

11. Flash

Flash Guest

Are his fans called Commoners?

12. Songbird

Good time with the co-workers at the show, but we stood close to stage, next to a mountain of industrial speakers, and my left-side hearing still ain't the same 4 years later. Of the trio of acts, I liked Gang Starr best, but he was mush-mouthing his shiz so it was barely understandable; either that, or I was paying attention on another plane of sorts.

BTW, ilfius and dooley, those were funny posts.

Flasher, sweetie, here's a song from Finding Forever, "For the People"

Draft saved Draft deleted