1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nation of Islam shout-out to sj.com

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is a db, but I didn't see it anywhere...
    NOI interviews Scoop Jackson and SportsJournalists.com comes up.
    Full interview: http://nationofislamsportsblog.blogspot.com/2007/08/scoop-jackson-nois-interview.html

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Um.. yeah it is. And -- surprise -- on the journalism board too...
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/45644/

3. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

UnCommonly good...

4. Killick

WTF does this have to do with journalism?
    Scoop Jackson. Nope.
    NOI. Nope.
    SportsJournalists.com... uhhh....

My apologies.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'd be more impressed if we got a shout-out from the Nation of Domination. Though with the passing of Crush, I suppose we should allow a proper mourning period.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

I don't read many of the Scoop threads ... I don't read his stuff, nor does it interest me.

But this:

Do you get any pleasure (we do) from knowing that those critics are unknowingly, yet overtly displaying their own ignorance -clearly showing that you are writing on a higher plane than they are capable of understanding?

is ass-kissery of the highest order. And sad, sad, sad.

Then bloggers wonder why journalists don't give them any 'cred.'

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I don't know why ANY journalist would be willing or even proud to admit they're not good spellers. That's like saying they don't know the difference between an adverb and an adjective. At the core of good writing is the ability to show a mastery of the language.

Scoop, if so many people fail to get your reference, you definitely should be ashamed. Good writing should be more than Bill Simmons-esque pop references. Will anyone even remember "Common" in five or 10 years? Probably not. But they'll remember you as being unable to spell.

8. Killick

All: I know I'm a jagoff that started this db thread, but let's move it over to its real home.
    Thnx.
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/45644/

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Just to quibble with this point, Alley, Common has been making great music since the early '90s, when he was known as Common Sense. Any hip-hop fan will remember Common in five or 10 years.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Indeed, Good Doc. Common's new CD is a masterpiece, and the last of 12 songs, "Forever Begins," is one of my top 5 all time.

That said, I do believe now that SportsJournalists.com has arrived, Charlie Brown.

11. Flash

Flash Guest

However black Scoop and his writing is, I have no idea who Common is and it renders the reference irrelevant to me.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The thing that pisses me off there is their assumption that none of his critics have ever heard of Common and, therefore, he is clearly writing "on a higher plane." It really read to me like a veiled way of saying, "Scoop, your critics are white and don't get your rap references."

I've seen Common in concert and would certainly get any reference to him made by Scoop. And, yet, Scoop still sucks. Not because of the occasional typo, as the interview makes it sound, but because he often makes inane points that are worded poorly and difficult to decipher sometimes.

Plus, he even admits in the interview, his stuff always comes with an agenda ("to do what's in the best interests of black people"). Now, that's not an inherently bad intention for a person to have, but for someone who calls himself a journalist, it is wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted