1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nation Anthems

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ilmago, Dec 3, 2010.

1. I'm an ultra left-wing liberal and I have no problem with the anthem being played at sporting events from the high school varsity level on up. I grew up believing the anthem was played before all big-time sporting events, even as insignificant as high school hockey, and I still believe that, damn it.

But the forced God Bless America during the stretch? I'll pass.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

New bestie alert!

And for god's sake, don't expect me to stand up during "God Bless America"! It's not the national anthem for fuck's sake! And I'll break the fucking arm of anyone who wants it to be.

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Just once, I'd like to hear someone sing one of the other three verses of "The Star-Spangled Banner." Most people wouldn't have a clue. (And the other three don't end with a question mark.) Or the original words to "To Anacreon in Heaven," the English drinking song it steals the music from. (That may explain why it's so hard to sing.)

FYI, the anthem was rarely played at sports events until during World War II. It wasn't even the anthem until 1931. The country didn't have an official one until then.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

I can remember when they played O Canada at an old downtown movie theatre.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I love it when the band plays it before a Microville Tech football/basketball game, because it's up-tempo. I hate it when it's performed by some wannabe who passed an open tryout, before many of the minor-sport eventsbecause it always sounds like a dirge.

6. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

But GBA is musically so much more fun than the national anthem. I agree with those later in the thread that said people need to stop treating this song like its the secondary anthem and requiring people to stand and put their hands on their hearts, etc., but I like the song. Even if does have god in it, which I could do without.

7. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Kate Smith is the only one who should be allowed to sing GBA.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

This should be the National Anthem

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I'm pretty much 100 percent aligned with you politically and get pumped up when I hear the anthem. Contrary to popular belief, I love my country.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Word.

Every word of it.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I can testify from personal experience that when the anthem isn't played, at the Olympics when they just start the game, because anthems are played at the end, not the start, it's very disconcerting. Your whole experience as a fan and a writer makes you feel something's missing -- and it's a strong feeling.
    Sports is about ritual, and the anthem is a good ritual. I vote with the majority here that God Bless America in the seventh inning is just something Bud Selig made up to make himself feel more patriotic and should be dumped.

12. vicd

vicd Active Member

I like hearing the anthem. It should be short and sung in the proper key (which is the key of G)
    One thing I always wondered, is it more unpatriotic to leave your hat on during the anthem or yell, "TAKE YOUR FUCKING HAT OFF!" during the anthem?

Draft saved Draft deleted