1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nation Anthems

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Ilmago, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Are you one that agrees with having National Anthems before every game at a sporting event, or would you agree to remove them completely since you think they're unnecessary?

Thoughts?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

National anthems I have no beef with.

But please kill God Bless America. Please.

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Until someone in this country can sing a national anthem like this, then we should get rid of them.

4. CRR13

CRR13 Member

If Carl Lewis or Roseanne Barr sings, then I'd leave it in. Everything else can be taken out.
    [​IMG]

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Awesome.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'd remove them but since that won't happen, please realise, it is NOT about you.

We don't want to hear a three minute version nor do we want to hear a blues, country or hip hop version. This is not an exercise in "self expression", it's a national anthem.

This goes for both Canada and the US: if you can't do either in less than a minute, get the fuck out.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I like the tradition, but I agree with JR: simple, short and in key.

If the U.S. decides to change our national anthem to 'Peace Frog,' I will be very staunchly in favor. There is a small but vocal minority advocating for this change.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It should be sung before international athletic events (like they do elsewhere), but not every last game. Waste of time.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I find it refreshing, if only because it seems to be the only thing that isn't sponsored by some entity on a broadcast.
    Sure it is a cynical ploy to make a sporting event seem more relevant than it is, but the games wouldn't be the same without the National Anthem.
    As for when they play them during the Olympics, often the best moments.

10. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

A few years ago, Blackhawks (NHL) radio broadcasts had the anthem sponsors, at least for home games where everyone yells their fool heads off.

I can live without anthems in the post-Roger Doucet era. God Bless America in Philly for Flyers games is cool, though.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Amen sister. Especially since so many people now treat GBA as if it is the anthem. I am not required to stand and put my hand over my heart during GBA. People don't have to take off their caps for GBA. Doing so diminishes the reverence for the actual anthem.

12. AD

AD Active Member

i'm with you on god bless america. we get it: you love the country. show it by living the values. you don't have to sing about it every day

Draft saved Draft deleted