1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nate Silver: 2/3 of America's op-ed columnists are "worthless"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 6, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

I'll give geek darling of the left Silver his due.
    But because he is handy with statistical models does not make him a great pundit, or even a good critic.

2. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I've heard the term "media narratives" thrown around a lot. I imagine a player being (or not being) clutch is one. What are some others?

I think at any level of reporting, preps to pros, you'll write about players improving with age. Freshmen getting more minutes because they're developing. Rookies adjusting to the pace of the game. Is that a narrative?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He is referring most prominently to the media narrative about "momentum" in political campaigns -- and specifically to the idea that he didn't know what he was talking about in 2012 because Peggy Noonan saw a lot of Mitt yard signs in Ohio.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Nobody believed that but Peggy Noonan, though.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Silver got started back in 2008 when he was a completely obscure, indeed, pseudonymous poster on Daily Kos who wrote long detailed posts on how political journalists were consistently underrating Obama's strength in primaries versus Hilary Clinton, which was the burning issue on that site at that time. Opposition to how political commentary is presented is his raison d'etre. If he wasn't at least a cogent writer, he'd be out of business, because poll aggregation isn't even as difficult a math concept as ERA.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Joe Scarborough did.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The entire GOP apparatus did.

Mitt was stunned when he lost.

8. Dick Whitman

FWIW ...

A co-worker who had fairly close ties to the Romney campaign told me that Mitt was expecting to lose, but Ann was absolutely convinced he was going to win that night, and devastated and shocked when he didn't.

If this conflicts with reporting that I've missed published since then, go with the reporting.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That's just a ploy, though. That was the GOP to trying self-fulfill prophecy through its media arm. That's been happening for years.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Mitt didn't lose.

The liberal puppetmasters have been lying to you for almost two years now.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The hell he was. He had no chance of winning. None. The people who control conservative politics, IMO, didn't even want him to win. Winning the presidency isn't nearly as politically profitable as demonizing the president and using that demonization to win elections across state and local platforms.

12. Dick Whitman

You don't think so?

I think without Hurricane Sandy, it's a dead heat. And without the financial crisis in 2008, that race is a dead heat. Probably a McCain victory. Two outside events essentially carried Obama to victory. The guy has had a very fortuituous run, beginning with his Illinois Senate victory against a sacrificial carpet-bagger.

Obama was absolutely on the ropes after the first debate against Romney. He was in danger of losing the election, and losing it badly. Even Silver was acknowledging that at the time, I believe.

Draft saved Draft deleted